What a blast today was.

Took an early mark from work and headed down to Raby bay this afternon for a sail on the Maricat. Forecast was for 15/20 knots increasing to 25 knots late in the arvo.

I haven't had a chance to take the Maricat out for a while, so spent a bit of time adjusting the jib tension on the jib wire which made a big difference to the the way the jib set.

Then I spent some time adjusting the new trapese setup so that it would support me at a comfortable level.

At 3.30 I headed out onto the bay and thought pretty quickly that "this seems slow" for the amount of wind I've got to play with.

Then it dawned on me. I hadn't put the bungs in the hulls. So I got up the front of the boat (to lift the transoms out of the water) and headed for the beach. By the time I got there I couldn't pull the boat out of the water it was that heavy. So with the help of a few locals I dragged it up the beach and drained a heck of a lot of water out of both hulls.

With the bungs now firmly in place, I headed back out and had the best time criss crossing Raby bay for a few hours until it got dark.

In a good blow it's just amazing how much speed you can get out of these little boats, and how well they will handle rough water once you get them set up well.

Great fun!

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 03 October 2007).]

You think that was fun, you should try it on a new foam sandwich. The proof will be in the pudding this weekend at Mannering Park. Tigers V Maries, Windies V Maries, Hobbies V Maries. There will be more Maricats than any other of the beach cat. Get ready for the invasion.

Originally posted by QB2:

I felt much more stable out on trapeze than hiking out because a move only a foot or so fore or aft set up perfect boat trim, especially on a reach.

I agree. I mucked about setting my trapese lines up to just the right length, and it made it so easy to hook up and get out, and I had it set so that my bum was well above the water.

Most of the time I had my weight out behind the rear beam and from there, a small shift of my weight fore or aft would trim the boat quick and easily. Even though the conditions were pretty rough, I found from that position, there were no issues with the boat trying to pitch pole regardless of how hard I pushed it.

It's also a really nice position to fly from when you pop a hull up out of the water. Good fun!

Cheers

Barry

Originally posted by humungus2:

You think that was fun, you should try it on a new foam sandwich. The proof will be in the pudding this weekend at Mannering Park. Tigers V Maries, Windies V Maries, Hobbies V Maries. There will be more Maricats than any other of the beach cat. Get ready for the invasion.

I don't doubt for a second that the foamies are better and faster to sail, and are probably well worth the extra $7 -$8k over the price of an older Mari.

But my wife does! End of story. (LOL)

Originally posted by richo:

Barry, bring the maricat up to Humpybong YC for a sail one Sunday. There are 2 - 3 of us sailing there now....the more the merrier !

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm only a fairly new member at Humpybong and have been sailing the Nacra 5.2 up there a few times this season, but I'm bringing the Maricat up for the SEQ Class Champs next weekend.

See ya next weekend.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 13 October 2007).]

Archived