Inland Maricats

Pointed Reply

We seem to be getting a bit of increasing Maricat activity in the inland areas, especially in northern Victoria, particularly now that there is lots of water in the dams. Geoff White is going well at Wagga, and DrPete from Yarrawonga is full of enthusiasm. Ymick from Albury reports some of the old Maricats have been resurrected.

Would there be interest in holding an information and tuning day at maybe Albury Wodonga Sailing Club or at Wagga, at the beginning of next season. I would assume they both have an opening days in late September.

I could bring down 2 boats, the old glass boat and the new foamie, rigged as Sloop and Cat. DrPete will have his new Eastwind sail and I can bring the Redhead Radial. This would not just be a chance to see a bit of new gear but also how to get the best out of a "classic" Maricat at minimum cost. The Maricat Association can assist owners locate new parts via Humungus Mick at Maricat NSW and also good second hand parts from Darcy1945.

There is also the Sail-Inland Regatta series at Albury and Yarrawonga, but the first leg at Albury usually clashes with the ACT Multihull Championships (probably 22/23 October), which this year is also the Maricat State Titles.

Any thoughts ?

Rodney Anderson

President Maricat Assoc of NSW & ACT

"Pointed Reply"

Member: Wagga Wagga Sailing Club

Dr Pete, I was wondering who's sail you were getting - good choice, Dave makes a mean sail - cross cut, smooth as a babies bottom and cracks like a rifle. He apparently served his apprenticeship with the sailmaker that made the 'factory' Mari sails in the day when there was only one sailmaker.

When you give the downhaul a good heavo the upper leach falls off slightly letting air out of the top of the sail, just what you need when it gets breezy.

He fixed up my original sail - reckoned he'd made it, 25 years ago!!

Inland Maricats

BTW - Geoff White went well at my club's Easter and ANZAC regatta here at Yarrawonga YC coming third in the other multihulls division. The PTs were here in numbers and formed their own division. Unfortunately I spent 4 days bobbing around in a rubber duck (oh the the joy of voluntary organisations) but we did get six races in (yippee!).

Getting to your point I would support the idea of a tuning/setting up session at an inland club like AWYC or Wagga in-principle but may I would suggest that perhaps we go one week earlier than season commencement then none of us need miss our own club's 2011-2012 season opener. Season openers are, in my experience, more about getting back together than actual sailing, but they are important bonding sessions.

For me, the inland regatta is a big deal, our only team race, which we won the trophy for the first time in 17? years from AWYC in 2011. It is a three race series but I do intend to compete in Canberra this year.

I'm keen.

Peter

I would to add that sailors at two other nearby inland clubs could be easily included in a tune up session. The Griffith club has Maricats sailing regularly and from memory so does Lake Cargelligo (the latter is abit further away).

By the way: Thanks must go to Yarrawonga YC for hosting an excellent 3 day regatta over the Easter/ Anzac w/end.

Victoria

I was amazed that I was the only Victorian Maricat representative at Bateman's Bay. Somehow if we are to make this event really worthwhile we have to reach the other lonely souls out there in Victoria. AWYC is a top location especially if the water is up.

Has anyone communicated with them?

Peter

Phil is stepping down at the end of the season Rod, there will be a new Commodore and he is currently sailing one of my Hydras so cat friendly. We have 2 Mari's as club boats, as well as 2 that are sailed regularly for fun but are keen to race. There are 3 others there that never seem to get out, they are members so easy to contact. BeYC recently had a cat Masterclass with Greg Goodall and from all accounts was sucscessful, anything that gets boats on the water would be well supported by AWYC. Drop me an Email, the.ransleys at bigpond dot com dot au, our AGM is coming up and I'll make sure it gets a mention.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken an interest in some of the 14ft cat sailor forum discussion (CAT SAILOR forum…MARICAT ’Inland maricats 24th April ‘) about the resurrection of Maricats in inland NSW and Vic (northern). There has been some ideas put forth with respect to giving instruction to the inland Maricat sailors of Wagga, Albury, and Yarrawonga , Griffith and Lake Cargelligo, to improve their performance. It may be time to discuss something like a local travelers series similar to the series that already exists for PTs and other 14ft cats, mainly coastal locations. This can be very expensive for the average sailor from this area when you look at travel costs.

The idea of a small series for Southern inland is appealing; this could include Wagga, Albury, Yarrawonga, Griffith and Lake Cargelligo held in conjunction with normal sailing regattas held at the respective clubs eg The Anzac w/end at Yarrawonga, Laurie Meline Memorial Regatta at Griffith, Rose festival regatta AWYC Oct long w/end at Wagga etc (2011 Long w/end is set aside for the PT state titles) . Most clubs are within 2-3hrs of Wagga which makes the idea more appealing and does not preclude the larger events such as the Canberra cat w/end or Batesman Bay Regatta.

The Wagga Wagga Sailing Club is interested revamping the local sailing scene including the support of junior sailing which could also be included with the idea of expert tuition given at some of these regattas as discussed by Rod Anderson

Happy to discuss ideas

Drifter

Drifter,

Just last week I was looking at Toukley's Brass Monkey in June and it sounds great - but its hopelessly far away from where I live (10 hours) for what is just a three-day weekend. If I can find great competition, but at the same time involvement in a racing culture which encourages me to develop and improve my sailing and my boat then I for one, would be very interested. I think the PT guys have a good model.

I just google-mapped distances and directions between the most distant clubs and YYC and these are about five hours apart. Even leaving after work Friday gets you to or pretty close to your destination before midnight. Canberra and Bateman's is further for me - but I would be willing to travel for the bigger stage.

Speaking for myself and possibly my club (and I have been nominated for Commodore). The "Inland Maricats Traveller Series" could work.

Let's keep talking

Peter

I think the first step is to get the 14ft cats at the Sail Inland venues (plus others) on dates which do not conflict, without necessarily a formal travellers series.

I have been to both Wodonga and Yarrawonga Sail Inland a couple of years ago and been the only 14ft cat.

They were very pleasant weekends but not very exciting.

Thanks Peter. From our clubs point of view I would assume that any effort to increase participation at our respective regattas is welcome. Anyway it's always nice to get away, camp or what ever and just sail for a couple of days.

Drifter

The idea of a small series for Southern inland is appealing; this could include Wagga, Albury, Yarrawonga, Griffith and Lake Cargelligo held in conjunction with normal sailing regattas held at the respective clubs eg The Anzac w/end at Yarrawonga, Laurie Meline Memorial Regatta at Griffith, Rose festival regatta AWYC Oct long w/end at Wagga etc (2011 Long w/end is set aside for the PT state titles) . Most clubs are within 2-3hrs of Wagga which makes the idea more appealing and does not preclude the larger events such as the Canberra cat w/end or Batesman Bay Regatta.

Drifter

Drifter,

I think a freshwater maricat series based on the events you outlined could work however I would like to fly this idea. First, do we even need a full-blown traveller series as such? If we were, at our own clubs, to promote the idea of 14ft freshwater cats getting their own division at any major inland regatta. Of course, Phil, salwater maricats sailors would be most welcome.

For example, YYC runs a number of regattas (too many I think) but if we were to make it a point of wanting to promote 14ft cats down as a separate division at all our regattas. All 14 footers could start together. If there are enough maricats then they compete as a class and compete against each other and, at the same time, against all the other 14 footers.

I do like the idea of A, B and C grade racers too, as per PTs, but I'm not certain how that would be done.

Peter

I hate this concept of separate classes in ragattas, often it means that you don't get classified with the rest of the fleet. Couple of years back they ran the Maricat nationals in the Manno cat regatta (all cats, not just 14ft). I sailed with the 'others', there were about five of us starting five minutes behind. I came second but it was a very empty second (but I did get a nice Ronstan bag!). Doing the Maricats would have cost me over $100 extra.

I've also done the same thing in the trailer sailer, I don't necessarily want to sail against the other careels in a big mixed fleet.

Still, each to his own.

I was also going to suggest that to have a, b, and c fleets in most other classes you'd be sailing against one or maybe two others. We simply don't get the fleet sizes anymore (if we ever did) and with most other classes there is a big mix, foam/non foam, cat/sloop/super sloop, it'd mean you're sailing on your own most of the time!

It would seem that the first thing we should ensure is that one, maybe two regattas are promoted as our own clubs best event/s of the season. Then those with a wish to promote there class at that regatta, be it cat , by length, by class, trailer sailor (I wish I could have worked a way to take the mari on my old ross650), must put their hand up to help. For a large class 'special' event, say State titles then special starts would be granted if requested. otherwise starts would be as normal. Nothing too confusing for regattas where the important thing is to ensure everyone enjoys great sailing and our clubs entice people to return with other of their clubmates (whatever they sail)

Drifter

PS Peter all the best with the upcoming vote for C

Archived