Boat Insurance

a necessary evil?

Wondering who uses what insurance company? We were insured with Club Marine, but they will no longer insure F18's... So just seeing who has had success with which companies? Not too concerned with price, mainly with who has the best coverage (eg. agreed values, racing options etc.)

i think you will find you will need insurance and proof of it to enter most regattas nowadays. the last payout that i heard of was getting around the $5M, and that was a windsurfer who hit a swimmer on the way in to the beach. unfortunately you need public liability even if your not racing. :(

a necessary evil?

Wondering who uses what insurance company? We were insured with Club Marine, but they will no longer insure F18's... So just seeing who has had success with which companies? Not too concerned with price, mainly with who has the best coverage (eg. agreed values, racing options etc.)

Thats a supprise we just insured our Hobie Tiger F18 last week with Club Marine $540.00 with $400.00 excess

Hey Chocko / Will, I gave her a try but was very deer compared to Tudor, The man to call at Tudor is Dave Cooper his mob is 0397073033...Never had a claim with them but had one with club marine and they were offering less than 1/2 replacment cost when I broke my mast..

Damo, club marine just wont insure Nacras! too bad for them I also have a laser, so they lost both boats and I now pay less than half Club Marine, more rum for me.

Yer apparently there were too many nacra claims, also they are very shy about anything that is carbon fibre...The bit I dont get is why cant they just put the insurance up if you have a nacra, a lot of people would just pay the extra, being lazy is easy..

RACV. I had a $3000 claim recently with the Castle and they didn't bat an eyelid, another club member had a $5000 NX claim and no problemo. Assessed within a week of claim registered, cheque a week later. BTW I had the sail repair part of the claim done by Goodalls, excellent service and would reccommend them as well. Every other insurance company I hear about is asking for a survey before insuring 25yr old hulls, try getting a marine surveyor in Albury Wodonga, and then try asking a stink-boat shop owner if he'd sign a "Good Order" document. This is for full insurance, they tacked the Hydra's on to the racing insurance bit and FWIW RACV pay out for sail damage when racing, and when flying a spinnaker, others do not. Read the fine print.

I'm guessing that I get treated a tad differently as I have house and 2 cars with them, loyalty means a lot to me so why shouldn't I be loyal to a company that's treated me well in the past. Other insurance companies I've dealt with will drop you like a shitty rag when it hit's the fan, or their assessors will try and screw you, anyone been done by the "Under Insured" bizzo? I deal with Shannons as well for my Classics, I haven't had a claim but they do treat others I know very well, they will do house, boat etc. but you do have to be an existing classic customer I think. As for that Public Liability stuff, I raced powerboats for a while, fantastic sport and great people, but the last quote for insurance was $2500 and that didn't cover the boat or me only what it did to life and limb if I binned it into a crowd, only covered for nominated race days no practice and no transport. The club had to have PL as well, seemed a bit double-dipping.

Archived