F18 for a novice?

I am looking to get back into cat's after an absence of 10 yrs or so (used to sail a Hobie 17). The Nacra F18 presents as being relatively versatile allowing for both one up and two up sailing. I'll predominantly be using the cat in a large bay area which can get choppy. Am I being overly ambitious ?

im my opinion , and i dont sail a nacra F18, yes. i sail a stingray, which is also 18 feet with a slightly smaller rig than nacra F18. and i wouldnt sail it 1 up in anything over 15 knots. and the stingray is much lighter than the nacra and much lighter mast. both would be difficult to rig and derig by yourself. the A class guys manage it but they are using much lighter mast sections. maybe a taipan 4.9 might be more suited to your needs?? The F18's are designed to have a crew weight of 150kg +, so they are powered up appropriately.

dont get me wrong, im not tryting to put you off F18's in anyway. we all sail our similar size boats solo, in the lighter winds for a bit of fun with kites etc. i would hate to see you get into trouble if the wind came up and you were offshore, if it does go pear shaped on you, you have to be able to right the thing yourself.

Thanks Brian, you've nailed one of my core concerns - how easy would it be to right it by myself in choppy conditions, from the sounds of it, not particularly!

I think I'll restrict my search to the 16-17 foot range. Thanks for your advice - please let me know if you hear of a nice cat for sale in this size category :)

Cheers Phil

this is a pic of me on my stingray sailing solo. basically an F18, but doesnt fit the criteria due to hull weight being much lighter than F18. im nearly 100kg and i was dumping sheet in 12 - 15 knots. you wouldnt want anymore wind than that by yourself!!.

when you say novice..... are you a novice sailor or just a novice to F18????

post-22276-13778265458208_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, a great suggestion re the Taipan - looks great and seems to fit the requirements nicely. I had a Hobie 14 for a few years while living on a coral atoll in the pacific. On returning to Aus I bought a Hobie 17 which was great for a couple of years (but not as big a blast as the 14 on the lagoon!). In the last decade my only experience has been on a resort cat in about 3 knot winds so I'm ranking myself back to a novice with aspiration. Cheers Phil

maybe even scale back a bit more than the taipan 4.9 and look at a mosquito? still 16 foot, can be sailed one up or two, and ( doing my best here not to upset the mozzie sailors or the taipan guys) less horsepower and maybe easier to handle in a blow for a novice. cheaper to start off with also!!!

my suggestion would be to try a mozzie first and if you find it too sedate, give the T4.9 a shot!! im sure both class associations would be more than willing to help you out.

i have never sailed one to be honest. to me it looks pretty simple sort of boat, cross between a racer and a "resort" type of boat. great for fun sailing with a bit more speed than a hire cat, but if you decide to race it you might find yourself wanting against other classes that have full centreboards. im sure nacra people will disagree with me. all in all the best thing for you to do is buy the best boat that fits your requirements, how you come to that decision is the million dollar question!!!!

Geko, check out the fleets in your locality and talk to local sailors, the 16's, Taipan/Mosquito, have good fleets on the east coast. The Taipan 4.9 would be my pick, easy to rig and sail 1 up and a 2 up sloop flyer, and much easier to right than a H16 or 17. Where will you be sailing, what do you weigh and will you race are the main questions.

post-1857-1377629931683_thumb.jpg

I've just agreed a deal on a very reasonably priced Nacra 5. Thanks for all the very valuable advice - I'm feeling comfortable that the Nacra will get me back sailing very nicely and I can always trade up to a more powerfull boat if I feel the need. Serious thanks guys.

Archived