maricat 4.3 rudder support

neiloren

G'Day new to this game just got a used 4.3 first run at Wyangla over easter Greaaattttt.

However did find some probs worst is previous owner assembled the kick up rudder lever upside down and this caused damaged to the hull around the hinges for the rudder, I did not notice this at time of purchase. My request for help can I get another rudder support bracket (if thats what its called) from anywhere it is the die caste bit inside the hull which of course is all erroded and brocken.

The Maricat Association would be interested in having such a document.

If you could scan it and email to me we will add it to the history of the class.

rodney.anderson@visy.com.au

Now the rudder bracket. Darcy is probably a better man for that but.....

You will probably find it almost impossible to unscrew the bolts due to corrosion.

How do you know the condition of the bracket. Does your boat have inspection hatches on the back deck ?

If not you will have to cut holes in the deck and after repairs fit inspection hatches.

At the same time glass up the bungs. (Most hulls leak through the bungs).

IF you can get the screws out clean them up and refit and glass them in place.

If the screws will not come out you will need to grind off the heads and then maybe make up a bracket (stainless, aluminium, lump of wood with big washers etc) or maybe Darcy has some 2nd hand bits.

I have some photos of similar repairs made to the older Pointed Reply. Luckily my 25 year old bolts came undone !

Well thats quick service and thank you for the reply,s I will scan/copy the for mentioned documents for you, re my rudders well as the hull was already cracked and badly damaged behind he rudder brackets I removed stroke cut them out from around the back of the hull the support bracket was busted in half or maybe corroded away the screws all broke even after I spent lots of time and gallons of 5.56, I now have that with an engineer type mate with the hope he can fix some how but would much rather get new/second hand if possable. While I am fairly handy with fibreglass I am concerned with the critical area of this repair and maybe the hatches are my best bet. Cant wait to get back on the water.

G'Day Rod just sent to you via email both the black and white rigging instructions and a copy of the coloured brouchure mentioned in my post. any probs with receipt of same let me know and I will do whatever is needed to get you a copy.

Regards Neil Biddle (neiloren)

G'Day Rod just sent to you via email both the black and white rigging instructions and a copy of the coloured brouchure mentioned in my post. any probs with receipt of same let me know and I will do whatever is needed to get you a copy.

Regards Neil Biddle (neiloren)

Archived