Victorian Maricat Owners

Dr Peter

Dr Peter' date=' suggestions for your topics, A, On the beach.1. Basic setup of platform, tight beam bolts, dolphin striker and tramp (diagonal cut) modify mast base for rake and (extra rotation, light crew only), new style traveller car, rudders, (rake, alignment and pull down/up system). 2. Mast, boom and sails setup. 3. Controls setup, main, jib, traveller, outhaul and downhaul. B, On beach explain, on water practise.1 Crew position for upwind, downwind and stronger conditions. 2. How to tack, cat rig, sloop and s/sloop. 3. Around the course. Starting, how, where, favouredend RULES. Upwind sailing, speed or height, laylines, RULES. Reaching, low in the gusts, high in the lulls, RULES. Downwind, straight line for cat rig (most conditions), best angle for sloop, RULES. Mark rounding tactics, RULES. Finishing, favoured end, Rules.[/quote']

WHAT

slowly for us mortals

half this is the point

please

what???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mick,

At the moment we are just kicking around ideas. One idea might be to differentiate the learning (sorry - teacher talk) and have a couple of groups sorted on need.

Don't forget the night class - red wine + talking shit = knowledge. Bring a notebook.

Peter

maybe little more up to speed on night sessions thank you dr p

Mick,

At the moment we are just kicking around ideas. One idea might be to differentiate the learning (sorry - teacher talk) and have a couple of groups sorted on need.

Don't forget the night class - red wine + talking shit = knowledge. Bring a notebook.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm from Sale.

It's further south, colder, wetter.

Michael

Welcome, Michael,

I've sailed Gippsland a few times but never on a Maricat. Welcome aboard.

I don't know if you are particularly competitive but if you are check out the other threads about Canberra and Albury.

Peter

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm here with my Maricat 4.0s at Sale, which puts you guys closer to Dr Pete than me.

I'm not competitive with the 4.3 so contend myself with racing at LWYC against trailer sailers and a new member with an old tired Hobie 14

Any of you guys who also have a TS and may have an interest in the Gippsland Lakes should check out the 2012 Marlay Point Overnight Race at www.http://lakewellingtonyachtclub.org/

Regards

Michael Clark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Myrtleford

Hi Ross,

Good to hear from another Victorian Maricat owner.

Where you are is probably a little far from us (Yarrawonga YC) for regular sailing but check out North East Wind Sports club (NEW). Greg and the boys have reconstituted the now defunct Lake Mokoan Club and sail Blokarts and sail boats out of Wangaratta. Might be worth a look for you. They do have a web presence.

Peter

3000 views are just probly lurkers waiting to see how many maricats turn up in Vic, before putting their hand up to admit that they too have a neglected Mari in the back yard. When ever I see a new post I always come for a look see.

Phil

You know, Phil, a little while ago I happened to be in Tallangatta, Victoria. Its not a big place and there in a yard - I saw a defunct decrepit Maricat. They can be found all over.

Peter

You know, Phil, a little while ago I happened to be in Tallangatta, Victoria. Its not a big place and there in a yard - I saw a defunct decrepit Maricat. They can be found all over.

Peter

And so you did'nt see if it was available and drag it home, really Dr pete you are slipping.

• 5 years later...

Given this post is nearly six years old, did we get anywhere with it?  I'm relatively new to sailing (arafura cadet when I was 12 and then 30 years away) but have my 4.3 and looking to get better and find some people who know how I can do that.  I'm in Melbourne's eastern suburbs and holiday usually at Capel Sound (that's Rosebud West up until 2 or 3 years ago.)  There are a couple of Mari 4.8's here, usually a Hobi 16 or 18 and the odd other boat.  A far cry from the 20 or 30 boats that made up the yacht club 35 years ago...

• 3 weeks later...

Zombie thread resurrection!

Guess I'd better check in.

I'm Mari #2418 (or #2353 on my other sail), parked in Ballarat, usually sailing on Lake Burrumbeet or Lake Wendouree.

I've had my cat for a bit over a year. Prior to that I hadn't sailed much for 20 years, after sailing Skyrider, Flying 11, NS14 and a 16' skiff while growing up in Sydney.

I rarely see another boat on the water when I'm out. Ballarat yacht club is fairly active, in their chosen classes, but I'm not really interested in racing and I find the wind better out on the big lake (Burrumbeet) than the town swamp (Wendouree) where the club sail. I usually sail sloop rigged, either solo or with my 10yo daughter as forward hand. I've been thinking about towing the boat down to Geelong for a look at the bay, or maybe even out on the ocean from Torquay, but haven't gone there yet.

tim

Archived