Windrush Surfcat 14 Tramp Repair & Jib Replacement

Will_ACT

Hi Will,

TornadoSport is correct about the jib – and if U R considering a mylar battened jib anyway, you really should be supporting the manufacturer - Windrush - as every sale lost to another party is no way to keep the class strong - a strong manufacturer can support the class - only if the class also supports it...

Likewise the tramp is not class legal - unless OK'd by Windrush...

Pleez understand that as NSW agent, I'm pretty much talking straight here – and not because I want the sale - or very small commission – it's simply a matter of doing the right thing by the class and it's support channels...

Of course for recreational sailing just disregard all of the above - altho' it is a pity to go the other way...

:)

Rohan

Hi Will,

Some things to consider when buying bits for your Windy. I was the dealer for another brand of cat for many years, I would totally agree with TornadoSport and Prince Planet about supporting the local guy (agent/dealer) and the manufacturer who can provide you with all the parts you need for your boat, the day you cannot get a rudder casting or rudder gudgeon or mast step or base because they went out of business will be the day you stop sailing your boat forever and the value will sink to the bottom of Lake BG. Ask any Solcat owners in Canberra if they can get parts for their boat. Any way my experience in sell another brand of cat include at least 20 customers telling me that the UME tramp (with warranty, R&D so that it does the job for 20 years etc) was too expensive and like you purchased a cheaper one off tramp, at least 15 of them came back to me to purchase the UME tramp within 2 to 3 years (several within the same sailing season) because the NOE came out of the track, eyelets pull out, hiking straps broke/pulled off the tramp or material disintegrated, not one of them was able to get warranty for the makers, that makes $61 look like a good investment to me. As for the jib question, Wind Rush would know what is the best/fastest shape an probably computer cuts them and they know how to put it together so is goes the distance, when you are sitting at the back of the fleet thinking you have put in the hours and should be able to keep up with the others will the NOE jib be the reason you are not with them? NOE jibs are usually copied from an old used jib and reshaped by the sail maker to work like a new jib, again I can provide instances of another brand cat owners who purchased an aftermarket set of sails and went backward in the fleet, then put their OME sails back on or purchased new OME sails and went back to the front end of the fleet. Again I’d ask the question is there $120 worth of value in knowing it will perform like the maker intended? One other thing to consider if you sell your boat with new OME on it will it be worth $180 more than if you sell it with non-class legal for racing NOE items, most sailor who race one-design would regard the NOE as having no value when looking at purchasing a boat for racing.

Wow, that sure generated some comment! Some good points there.

Darcy - No pressure but would you like to respond before I finalise my decision?

Rohan - I quoted the lower priced Windy Jib (with no luff wire and halyard) to make it a fair comparison. Are you saying it is not 'correct' for my cat?

Hi Will, you can put anything on the boat if you want - including triple Holleys & Nasa foils... :) – but if you do wanna race - even if it's just occasionally, then you need to be class legal... tramps and jibs are both items that fall under class rules...

That's what TornadoSport was referring to - and what I backed up... not coz I wanna do Darcy out of a sale...

If you never race and simply want a good muck-around boat, no issue... BUT having said that (and I hate to repeat myself) - it only helps the class if the manufacturer is strong...

Trust me, Windrush is only breaking even on the Windrush 14 - if that - their focus is on the F18 and Tornado etc... where they can make a profit...

We all LOVE the W14 for the great, ahead-of it's time design... Windrush Yachts (Brett Burvill) included... so he's really doing the spares / sails etc for the sake of keeping the class on the water - not coz he's making a killing out of it...

As the agent, I make very little margin on stuff - I also do it coz I've owned a Windrush 14 for well over 20 years - so have a soft spot for the boat too...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will,

You can race your Windy at the YMCA Sailing Club on Saturdays, contact the Alan Perry through their web site http://www.canberra.ymca.org.au/services/sail/Pages/default.aspx for info and a name of their wind Rush rep, who I think is Ed Louis Windy sail number 6223 Ali Cat, Ed also sails at the Canberra Yacht Club on Sundays. Races start at 2PM at both clubs.

see you there.

PeterM

• 1 year later...

hey prince....i have a mark 1 windy that continues to improve having won a club handicap race recently however...the rating of the windies is higher than a hobie 14 and i have seemingly no way to keep up with the hobie to windward sooooo...the handicapping is for a windie14 mark 1 or mark 2 or both? if both then i need to upgrade my mark 1 sails to the new mylar battened jib/mainsail to keep up with the handicapping right??? otherwise i simply will not be competitive...advice please???

• 3 weeks later...
hey prince....i have a mark 1 windy that continues to improve having won a club handicap race recently however...the rating of the windies is higher than a hobie 14 and i have seemingly no way to keep up with the hobie to windward sooooo...the handicapping is for a windie14 mark 1 or mark 2 or both? if both then i need to upgrade my mark 1 sails to the new mylar battened jib/mainsail to keep up with the handicapping right??? otherwise i simply will not be competitive...advice please???

Hi there hipopp, the yardsticks for older boat/sail combos are certainly different than for newer bulkhead or foam boats with mylar sails. Your boat would be considered 'vintage' class - even with a new jib...

If you wanted to really boost the performance, then a new mylar mainsail would get you a lot closer - or even - with the Hobies.. but it's a little like putting a V8 into a clapped-out Holden Camira... is it really worth it?

:p

Not saying that your Windy is too far gone - but unless you slowly but surely 'modernise' it (with new hulls) - it will still feel like it's not quite achieving it's potential...

• 2 weeks later...

You have to appreciate the Windrush 14 is not as 'skinny' as a Hobie 14 - which means the hulls are more buoyant and 'push' more water - so unless you have the stiffer, lighter hulls - you are at a distinct disadvantage. Of course, in a blow, that buoyancy and hull shape means you can drive the Windrush harder... and it's a more forgiving, more versatile and more comfortable boat to sail in every way...

For upwind speed, you need to be properly trimmed - weight as far forward as possible, and have the correct sail shape/luff tension etc etc... they all come together to get you to the windward mark faster...

But out of the box, and old Mk1 Windrush and an old Hobie 14? The Hobie 14 will be faster... unless you know how to get the absolute best out of your Windy - and that takes years of experience and the correct tuning...

• 8 years later...