Windrush Surfcat 14 Tramp Repair & Jib Replacement

Will_ACT

I'm a novice sailor, live in Canberra and have owned (& enjoyed sailing) my 14 foot Windrush cat since buying it 3 years ago. Trouble is, the Trampoline needs restitching and the Jib now needs replacing as well. Could I please have some advice on where to go to get these issues rectified? Am I better to simply replace the Tramp, instead of restitching it? Can you buy replacement sails & tramps ‘ready to go’ or do you have to get them made up? It’s an all white ‘Surfcat 14’ but I don’t know how to tell how old it is? I imagine it's a Mk1, from what I (quickly) read on this website. I have uploaded a photo of it.

Will

Canberra

Hi , yes your boat is a mark 1 boat (still looks in good nick) . I like the pic of 3 blokes all busy getting it rigged !

Windrush Yachts still sell all the parts for the WW14 . see their web site www.windrushyachts.com.au

They list a trampoline as $341 (+ gst) & you would also need about 10 of the mat hooks @ $1-95 ea. + freight.

So with that in mind it may be worth taking the tramp off & going in to your local canvas maker & getting a quote for them to do a bit of restiching , normally gets a few more years out of a worn tramp (as long as the material isn't rotting)

Sails , again you can get direct from windrush but a new mylar batterned jib is over $600 , so depends how worn out your old one is - normally the older dacron sails keep going for ages.

There may be sailmakers over east who could knock you up a new one - if you only wanted the soft dacron like what you have then they ought to be able to so one for about $300-$400 (at a guess) - they normally like the old sail to take a pattern off.

The batterned jibs are slightly larger than the original dacron jibs like yours & improve the boats performance.

Also keep an eye out on ebay & the like as sometimes 2nd hand gear comes up.

Good luck - make sure you get all this winter maint done to keep the boat on the water !!!

Rgds

Michael , you may be right with the sail number as being a bulkhead boat as sails in that range were mark 2's , I only thought it was a mark 1 boat as when I zoomed in on the picture I can see no forward hatches which are the main telltale for mark 1 vs mark 2 .

Good to see used gear being recycled . A used mylar jib will still be heaps better than the original dacron jib , as long as it doesn't have too many holes in it.

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. I have now checked out the Windrush website - handy. I will see if I can include another photo to see if agreement can be reached on the model.

Yes, I believe Sirrius used to travel to competitions a fair bit, even to WA, mainly by son previous owner (Andrew) &/or son. Sails may have been changed because he said he had two sets - I only got one set. It is in good nick, I have learned to refibreglass & have done one rudder & both hulls last winter.

I don't know of any hatches up the front, only the rear. What do you mean by bulkheads?

Will

Canberra

post-23180-13778265458599_thumb.jpg

Will,

Really the only definitive way of telling whether it has bulkheads is actually looking inside the hull.

Either put your arm down the rear hatch cover and feel for a vertical stiffening brace underneath the rear beam OR look through the rear hatch cover for a vertical stiffening brace. Here is an explanation of a bulkhead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulkhead_%28partition%29

You MAY have to remove the hard plastic box inside the rear hatch cover if your boat has it.

I'm going off memory of having seen the boat over 10yrs ago. In the photos it appears to have the Mk1 rear beam with the traveller track angled forward. This isn't necessarily an indicator of hull age because a lot of people bought new hulls and used old beams etc to assemble the platform.

The price for Darcy's tramp is good, I paid over $500 for mine but I got it from one of the best tramp makers around and the quality shows (Ian Marcovitch - Redhead Sails)

Hi Darcy, that tramp sounds interesting. What do you mean by bias cut? What colour? Made to fit my boat? Meets all racing requirements eg stitching? Do you make them or just sell them?

Thanks again Michael. I will look for potential bulkheads over the weekend. Is there supposed to be a hull number somewhere?

Hey Will,

I see the Sydney Sailboat Centre sticker on the hull... so I guess I most probably sold the boat new... everyone else who worked there was 'mad' on Hobies... but anyone who crossed my path while I was there was kwikly 'diverted' to a Windrush 14...

:p

BTW, I'm the new NSW Windrush Dealer... so if you require anything specific, let me know...as I have a 'hotline' to Windrush Yachts...

:)

PP

No worries Michael. I couldn't see anything inside the rear hatch, it has a thin rubbery lining which is rivetted in, so dont know if it has bulkheads. The traveller track points directly up, not angled forward, what does this indicate?

Hey Darcy1945, do you have a picture of one of your tramps (preferably on a Windrush)? Do I need to buy any gear eg mat hooks etc?

The ruddery box inside the rear hatch is something they put in up until the mid 80's (i think it was around then, may have been earlier that they stopped).

Without removing the box you wouldn't easily tell if it is a bulkhead boat. There are a few tricks if you've seen enough Windrush but not easily explained.

The traveller track pointing straight up indicates that if it was a bulkhead boat its most likely an early boat as they changed the rear beam to lean back to allow the traveller load to be transfered 90degrees to the angle it sheets which allowed the traveller to run free-er (still not great).

All the little tips and tricks you pickup after 18-19yrs around windrush.

Tell tales for Windrush 14 identification - so, to summarise whether my Windrush 14 is a Mk I or a Mk II :

The Tell Tale / What My Cat Has / Which model this indicates

Sail Number / 4529 / Mk II

Bulkheads / ? / ?

Forward Hatches / Nil / Mk 1

Traveller Track Angle / Vertical / Early model. Mk I or II?

Rear Hatches / Thin rubbery lining (until mid 80's) / Mk I or II? Did Mk I have this?

Am I best to assume I have a Mk I? Any comments?

Having only ever sailed a Windrush 14 once about 33 years ago and by my own admission profess to be totally clueless about anything to do with what mark your boat may or may not be, my advice would be to not worry about it too much and just sail the crap out of it and enjoy it. I know that's what I would do. But that's just me ..... :D

Great Advise

Having only ever sailed a Windrush 14 once about 33 years ago and by my own admission profess to be totally clueless about anything to do with what mark your boat may or may not be' date=' my advice would be to not worry about it too much and just sail the crap out of it and enjoy it. I know that's what I would do. But that's just me ..... :D[/quote']

Now this is with out doubt the best piece of advice you will ever get "Just get the thing in the water and sail the hulls off of it" the rest is co-incedental

3 things you will need to know to keep the boat moving... always keep weight as far forward as you can WITHOUT burying the bows off-wind - weight placement on a W14 is critical - the other thing is to make sure the jib luff is always tight - the jib leads the boat to windward on a sloop-rigged cat... likewise keep the mainsail downhaul tight upwind - many new sailors just don't put enuff tension there... of course off-wind it can have less tension...

As for maintaining the rudders system, I see from the pix the crossbar already has a bend in it - so there has already been too much downwards pressure on the tillers - that is a BIG no-no on the Windrush 14 - never place downwards pressure on the tiller bars - as that leads to premature tiller-bar droop...

If you need a new crossbar, the carbon-fibre ones are the correct ID for the connectors - and can be ordered with a telescopic tiller extension...

Sloppy rudders can definitely reduce the pleasure – and speed of the boat...

There's a nice slide-show on my website to whet your appetite, and give some visual tips as to how to trim the boat – http://www.liftkingaustralia.com.au/windrushcatamarans.html – and the new NSW Windrush Association website is up and running too...

http://nswwindrush14.org.au/

Try to get to as many regattas as possible - that's the best way to see how to set the boat up for speed and enjoyment... and of course, have FUNN...

Apart from that, yeh, get out there and HAVE A BALL... OR 2...

:)

Lotta good advice there fellas. I do love sailing the cat. Grew up in country NSW, riding motorbikes & water skiing, not sailing. First time I sailed a cat was on my honeymoon at Hamilton Island in 2003 (think they were Windrushes too) & instantly fell in love (with cat sailing of course!). Bought my Windrush 5 years later - at 44, never too late to start eh.

post-23678-13776299323242_thumb.jpg