cat selection?

wet ears

I am a 'resort' sailor who wants to get a cat to sail with my 14/12 year old boys. From what I've read, a nacra 5.2, hobie 16/18 or maybe even a sloop rigged maricat might be the go. I would also want to sail on my own midweek so I need something I can rig easily solo.(is the mast attachment a 2 man job?). Any advice for a novice?

Hi Wet ears, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately when it comes to boat selection, it's always going to be a bit of a compromise when your wanting a boat thats physically big enough to sail "three up", yet also easy to rig solo.

The Nacra 5.2 is a good choice, having had one they are a great boat, but personally I'd look for a Nacra 16 square as there are more of them sailing today.

The 16 square would be big enough for you and your kids to sail on together, and yet they were designed as a solo boat.

Best thing to do is get along to your local sailing club and have a look around at the different types of cats available.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

Barry

Thanks Barry. I have been down to a couple of clubs (Elwood and Port Melbourne) and there is such a wide variety and I'm still discovering more! I don't intend to sail 3 up, just 2. Whoevers interested at the time. N5.2 is the only nacra in Mel I've seen advertised. A 16sq is available Qld but haven't seen one down here. A hobie 16 has just become available so I'll have to make a call on it soon otherwise I'll miss the season all together! But from what you say, I'm on the right track. Thanks again Bill

hi wet ears,

i would steer clear of a hobbie 16, there is heaps of them about but there are not a sailer friendly boat. you will spend more time tipped over than you will sailing. the hobbie 18 is a much better boat but is also on the heavy side. a nacra 5.0 or 5.2 would be a good boat to get. and also a mari 4.3 would also be a an option for you.

Wet ears, I would advise a 14ft cat, like the Maricat or Windrush. These are ideal for one adult, either with just a mainsail or with a main and jib. You can also add a trapeze for further excitement once some more experience is gained. Yet these boats will very comfortably handle an adult and a teenager, and are often raced this way. All this, while still being manageable for relatively inexperienced sailors in moderate to strong conditions.

Personally, I think many novices are advised to get boats that are too big and powerfull. They end up having a scary experience (or worse) and then decide to sell them before they've discovered the real joys of sailing.

I understand the desire to push classes that people are passionate about or personally involved in, but let's make sure these newcomers get a sensible grounding in sailing before recommending the bigger and more powerful classes.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Bill,

I missunderstood your original post, and figured you were planing to sail "three up" at times with yourself and your two boys.

If there's only going to be you and one of your boys on the boat then a 14 foot Maricat or a Windrush would be a great starting point to get into the sport of sailing and learn the ropes. Both boats are fairly forgiving for the novice sailor, but once you get a bit of experience, they can also be sailed fast.

I have a Maricat that I keep as my solo boat. It's fitted with a trapeze, and frankly I reckon there the best fun you can have on the water.

So if your only sailing two up, consider a 14 footer. Either a Maricat or a Windrush. I'd steer clear of the Hobie 14's because their more difficult to sail and have less hull bouyancy than the Mari's and Windies.

Cheers

Barry

Hi wet ears, sugarloaf sailing club has a couple of 14 foot catamarans for club members use[paper tiger,maricat 4.3 and hobie 14].We are there from 10.00am on Saturday and Sunday. Sugarloaf is in Christmas Hills not that far from Eltham.Visitors are most welcome.Sugarloaf is a safe environment to learn how to sail no waves and lighter winds than the bay.website : http://home.vicnet.net.au/~slsail/

• 3 weeks later...

I think good advice is to research your options, visit sailing clubs, try sail as many different cats as possible don’t rush your decision.

If your emphasis are on “resort” sailing check out the Nacra 4.5, Easy to load/unload rig your self, can sail one, two or three up

Get a kite if you like to go faster. I have only good things to say about this all-rounder.

Cheers Chris

A maricat 4.0 is different to a maricat 4.3 it was designed mainly as a resort boat and hence isn't raced. I still think you shhould come down to vincentia one sunday though as we have both hobie 16's and a couple of Taipans which suit your needs well. Also if you sailed at Vincentia crew wouldn't be a problem as we have plenty of kids and a few adults around wanting to crew.

[This message has been edited by lachy pudney (edited 26 February 2008).]

Archived