4.9 rudder set up

I've just bought myself a older 4.9. When i was rigging the rudders up on the trailer, it looks like the they tuck under the the stern way to much.. I was wondering if anyone had any specs on how far under they should go and how to set it all out..

Regaurds Steve

gday

im a beginner

if boat is set up that way could be deliberate

im learning about mast and rudder rake

test it then adjust the retest for change has been best advice

unless you know guru

and even then test adjust retest i think ??????

just tuck my rudders a little further under seems to stop cat steering off the wind

Hi Steve,

From memory the bottom of the blades, Should be 25-30mm in front of the rudder pintles(Straight line projected down

from both pintles). check to make sure they are square between each other(front edge to back edge.)

Whereabouts are you located??

What sail number did you get, Is it glass or ply.

It doesn't really matter how old they are, If it's been looked after they don't show their age

Regards

Richard

Steve, sail the boat as it is, with sails sheeted on and your weight on trap at the stays, you should have slight weather helm. If the rudders are tucked under to far you could end up with dangerous lee helm. Don't change anything untill you have sailed it. Check mast rake and rig tension before making any adjustments. Where are you ? find other 4.9s in your area and compare.

Thanks for all the replys guys.

The boat is ply not to sure on the weight of it yet. Its sail number is 085, i bought it from a young fella from canberra and now im sailing out of Wallerawang sailing club. we have 3 5.7 and 1 other 4.9 but i havent seen it for at least 5 years. all the other boats are lasers. so if i want to compare i have to travel to the coastal regatters. I've crewed on the 5.7 at a heap of them. just dont know if im ready to skipper yet. I took it out on satuday for the first time, and it didnt sink so that was a good thing. the wind was blowing 15-18 but when i final goti t out it droped to 5-8 as it does. so i wasnt able to trap out. but from the little sail i had it didnt seem to have much helm, but i probalby couldn't tell. with out meassuring the rudders i was say they tuck under 50 to 70 mm. thats as a accurate carpenters guestamation.

setting your rudders up is a trial and error thing make sure they are both parallel with each other (with them locked down) by measuring between both rudders on the front of the blade at the bottom of the hull and also at the back of the blade at the same height(Adjust cross arm to suit) Its a good idea to check the bottom as well to make sure they are the same. If they aren't the same as the top measurement the gudgeons aren't level. Put a straightedge down the transom of the hull and they should be about 25-30mm tucked under the hull. Every boat is different so it might take a few goes to get it right. It is very important that there is no play sideways between rudders and the alloy cheeks. Also make sure when the rudders are down the rudder hold down rods are tight they should have a curve up in the rod if they don't they aren't tight enough.

Regards Matt Homan

Hi Steve,

We where at Oberon January, Where you there??

The 5.7 will sail differently to the 4.9, But still really good fun

I think the other 4.9 out there belongs to Carl (his last name escapes me), That was a nice boat, I think he was building a house at hampton the last time i saw him at Oberon, Which would probably be 3 years ago.

"also i think the boat was build for cat rig as the says are probalby half way between the front beam and the dagger boards.."

The stays on all taipans are around that point( this is a class measurement).

The easiest way to get you mast rake is

With your trap line measure from the bridle point back to the rear deck you should be about 100mm behind the back beam, But Matt Homan can confirm this

Hopefully this will help a bit more

Richard

thanks matt for the help. i think its going to be a slow process until it gets a bit warmer.

richard, carls last name is schults. his boat was the first taipan i crewed on when i 12 out at carcoar when it had water. i was at oberon on the 5.7 Too Easy. What where you on. Where are you sailing from?

Thanks for all the replys guys.

The boat is ply not to sure on the weight of it yet. Its sail number is 085, i bought it from a young fella from canberra on.

Thats interesting...... as I have hull number 85 sitting in my backyard in QLD :-)

Staying on the topic of rudder set up, there was a comment about making sure there is no sideways play of the rudders between the alloy cheeks. Mine has a small amount and would like to know how to exclude or minimise it.

Thats interesting...... as I have hull number 85 sitting in my backyard in QLD :-)

Staying on the topic of rudder set up, there was a comment about making sure there is no sideways play of the rudders between the alloy cheeks. Mine has a small amount and would like to know how to exclude or minimise it.

Hi

Do you have the 20mm square aluminium or the cast alloy?? Either way the cheapest way would be a small piece of ice cream lid cut in a disk and packed either side of the blade. The other way would be too, With the blade down a thin piece of carpet or foam glued (gel grip is good) to each side of the rudder check, Then you will have to re-align them again

Just my 2 cents worth

Richard

Cheers... yes there looks like there was a piece of hard plastic in each side so I will explore that some more. There is a rubber vee which the rudders fit hard into but as I am playing around with a gas shock set up for them at the moment, I think under heavy load they may be lifting slighty off the vee allowing for the movement.

• 2 months later...

Archived