Second hand mainsail/battens

EarthSuit

Hi all,

I have an old mainsail and am in desperate need of battens for it.

Does anyone have a pre loved main and/or battens they want to sell to a good home?

Mine is a maricat 4.0s and I sail from the Lake Wellington Yacht Club on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria (very COLD here at the moment)

Anyone else arround this area?

Regards

Michael

Michael, the 4.0 has a shorter mast and boom than the 4.3, there are not many 2nd hand bits for the 4.0 boats, I would suggest looking for a complete 4.3 rig, or have a 4.3 main shortened from the head (it will end up as a square top), then find a second hand boom or lengthen yours.

Hi Dr Pete,

Darcy is probably right about the size.

However, I can always cut the battens down even if the sail is too big.

Anything would be better than what I've got.

$1400 for a mainsail on a boat that I paid $421 for is probably over capitalisation :)

I'm still interested in the battens if you want to sell them and/or donate to a worthy cause (me) :cool:

The square head main sounds interesting.

Regards

Michael

P.S.

I do race at our club events but am not in any way competative against real catamarans.

Not sure about the over-capitalisation, Michael. Other writers on these forums have suggested that if your Windrush or Maricat is in pretty good order then a new sail is a pretty easy way to make it very competitive without shelling out really big dollars.

I'll dig out the battens and send them in the post. I'll see if I can make you my friend - then you can email me off forum. If that doesn't work I'll post again.

Peter

Hmmmmm seems like the Victorians are getting organised, maybe they are going to make an assault on the maricat kingdom, Mick Brenton Rodney, man the ramparts. Standby to repell Victorians.

Hope to see you at the states Dr pete, EarthSuit, you have to start somewhere, I started at the back of the fleet, hey I'm still there.

Phil

post-5949-13776299338733_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmm seems like the Victorians are getting organised, maybe they are going to make an assault on the maricat kingdom, Mick Brenton Rodney, man the ramparts. Standby to repell Victorians.

Hope to see you at the states Dr pete, EarthSuit, you have to start somewhere, I started at the back of the fleet, hey I'm still there.

Phil

My secret plan is to start for this campaign is to cross the start line at the same time as everyone else.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

The battens worked out great.

Yesterday was the first time on BioHazard for some time.

I had to shorten them each by about 200mm and fix a new leech end fitting that is OK for a velcro closure to the batten pocket.

But everything works as advertised :)

Again, thanks a lot

Michael

Archived