Black wich photos?

gim

Your right and wrong, he went too close to shore before the narrows and tripped the boat in the shallows, put a hole in something took a lot of water on and from there he had rolling ballast. If he put the nose down the water went forward setting him submarineing on the edge of pitchpole so for the last 35km he had to keep the weight back.

• 5 months later...

I bought the Black Witch in Toowomba yesterday. I am just now looking at how everything works. It has some sort of traveller setup on the jib sheet which I can't work out. Also there are a few parts missing. I hope to have a trial sail soon, and will post some photos.

I assume you have the same barber-hauler type setup that 303 has, it's a bit of a pain but does allow shaping of the heady in the light stuff. We changed the 2:1 to 1:1 which made things better, and lighter jib sheets helped as well. A simple track along the beam would be easier.

Micky has put a square top main on 303 recently, ex A class, and it's made the boat more controllable in gusts but has dropped a bit of speed. He mainly sails it 1 up for fun.

Thanks Paul, for the information. Any chance of a photo of the barber-hauler, as I can't work out how it works? There are two very small cleats on each hull.

I only have one original rudder, heavy like the dagger boards. The other rudder is a timber copy of the original. So I am looking for a suitable pair of matching rudders.

Here is a photo of the boat on our way home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]805[/ATTACH]

post-23407-13778265712896_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to get out to the club and take some photos Gim, but it's a mad house here lately. Basically the jib block and cleat should attach to the track, and the controls move the car, starboard side controls move port side car and viceversa (this means you are altering the jib angle from where you are hiking/trapping, not having to got to leeward). You should only need a control to pull the car aft as the sheet pressure will tend to move it forward, if you get what I mean. 303 has a rope setup, different to yours. My Hydra has a track like yours but it is along the beam, it adjusts fairly simply and is effective.

From your photos mate it looks a bit hodge-podge, and some nasty control line angles. Any chance of getting to a local club and gaining the assisstance of someone? Sailors are always a helpful bunch.

post-15551-13776299631024_thumb.jpg

G'day gim your jib sheet doesnt look right to me have you got jib blocks that attatch to the saddle you have the jib sheet going through? I think you would struggle to pull the jib sheet on hard enough under load if it only goes through the saddle, You havn't shown us how your barber hauler cleats

• 1 month later...

Thanks Paul and Jeff for your advice. As I said, I had no idea how it was supposed to work, and was guessing. I agree with you Paul that the control seems to be on the wrong (leeward) side. Jeff, no jib blocks or cleats came with it, and I agree it would need a block. The small cleats on the hull seem to be facing the wrong way to me, but the boat has been like this for a long time, so it must have worked some way or another.

I haven't sailed it yet, being Winter, but I have done some maintenance, and it is just about ready to sail. I will post a pic when I have my maiden sail. Thanks again.

G'day gim you cant really sail that boat properly without cleating the jib, the blocks you need have a cleat built onto a 57mm pulley. New ones will cost over $100 each but there are a lot of old fico ones out there. If you try to pull your jib on hard enough to point to weather rigged as it is your crew will have to hold the full load of the jib the whole time and you you risk pulling the jib slide off the hull as the friction of the rope will pull hard on the metal. Do a web search of Harken ratchet blocks and that will give you pics of what you need but keep an eye out on ebay. Rob's catsailor.net online store on this site doesn't list these blocks but if you fire him a message he may be able to quote some blocks for you. Might be worth asking the previous owner what happened to the blocks

Thanks to Jeff and Darcy for all the advice and help. I understand how the Barber Hauler should work now, and I will be fitting some suitable jib blocks/cleats.

Some people have said, do away with the Barber Hauler, but I think I will give it a try.

Archived