What to Buy, wave or playcat?

Phoenix

Ok, I used to sail my old man's maricat 4.3 a bit when I was younger and a recent trip to Fiji where the resort had some calypso resort 4 boats reignited the spark in me to sail.

However the maricat was always a big heavy thing to move and rig, and fairly wide in his narrow drive. So I thought I would see what was about the place in the way of a smaller boat. The calypso that I sailed in Fiji was nice and simple, and reasonably narrow, yet had plenty of floatation, and it appears that they are a fairly inexpensive boat to buy ($6,800), but no rocketship. But then I want to have fun sailing with my family, not race.

So as the 2nd hand market in tassie is all but dead, I had a look at new boats. I love the look of the Nacra playcat ($6500), it's not a bad price (I still have to get my head around plastic hulls). However only being available in WA or QLD means at least another $1000 in transport, which brings it up to the same price as the Hobie Wave ($7500) which I can get in Victoria. There is a local hobie dealer, but they only do the kayaks.

I love the look of the Nacra 4.5 sports and Sirocco, but they are a few dollars more at $9k to $13k plus a trailer.

I know 2nd hand would be cheaper, but as I said, not a lot appears down here, and most are big boats, A Class, Nacra 5.8, Tornado etc. So what are every body elses opinions on these boats?

You mentioned width and weight as factors, on the NSW Coast, good 2nd hand 4.3 Mari/windy start at about $1k up to $5k (for lightweight foam sandwich race only), good 4m maris can be bought for $400 to $1000. I would stick with production cats that have been built in large numbers, simply for parts availability and 2nd hand parts.

strewth - get the Gurney out.

couple of welds and she'll be fine. Keep the trailer, you may need it sometime.

Look around for a club that races small cats, see what they sail then make a decision. There really is nothing like racing to fully understand how these boats work.

The paper tiger is interesting - they had a Nationals in Tas a while ago I think. Maybe there are some around.

Archived