Fixing up a maricat

Phoenix

This is my understanding - I'm sure others will chime in. Mk2 has an integral mainsheet traveller moulded into the rear beam. Also the boom has a track moulded into the top - I think the mk1 boom is a simple oval shape.

If you want to race there are a few things. Google Maricat association - there's a bit of a writeup on that site about doing stuff.

It's amazing what a high pressure cleaner can do.

You'll probably need to replace the hatch covers because the gasket gets lost and it'll let water into the lockers which isn't good. Also check the transoms to see if the aluminium straps inside haven't corroded (they can expand and crack the fibreglass then cracks let in water and eventually you need to put a rear hatch in to fix it all up - all perfectly doable).

If the main is in reasonable condition you could get a sailmaker to add a bit of extra bolt rope (or do it yourself). I've done this on a couple of sails and the new ability to pull the downhaul makes a tired old sail work well. The boltrope tends to shrink and stiffen. On my mari sail he cut the old bolt rope from the 'anchor' at the tack and put in a short length of new without splicing it to the other bit - result - nice and flexible.

Take care not to overcapitalise though but bang for buck I don't think you can go past them.

Talk to a local sailmaker first (but make sure they've made the tramps before) and Darcy second - you should be able to score one about half that. You are right though it is very easy to overcapitalise but you're unlikely to find a second hand one with a good tramp at a good price. A well set up tramp can make a big difference to the stiffness of a mari.

If it's a Mk1 then don't worry, Mannering Park has #16 which still goes like a veritable rocket.

THe mess in the photos isn't too bad, but many of the fittings are a sad story indeed. The minister for finance is iterested in getting a boat, but would prefer a smaller boat. Trouble as much as anything is time. We'll see what happens. This is also a pretty heavy boat as I recall, and there is certainly one large repaired section on the rear LHS hull where the boat was blown onto it;s side on a windy day with the trailer attached being towed behind the car along a causeway. a lot of caravans were killed on the same stretch of road that day as well.

Pheonix,

This is possibly a curlier question than it appears on first blush.

For example: Time vs. money. You have to ask yourself some things.

Like do you enjoy working on boats?

Do you like spending money?

I'm not so keen on spending money - unless I see value in the result and what anyone values is subjective? I have a boat which is absolutely tied up with my memories of my deceased eldest son - its priceless - TO ME. To anyone else - hmmmm.

How much is this boat tied up with your identification of your Dad?

But I have stripped bare, without any remorse, boats I have no personal connection with.

If the boat cost nothing to begin with then the arithmetic is pretty simple. You might get a grand for a really good Mark 1 on a registered trailer. Its more likely to be half this - so there is your limit.

Peter

Yes, I think by the time I get a trailer, say $1500, tramp, $400, that's already the price of another mari on the gold coast i've been eying off. Even including transport to melb (melb to tas is more like a $1000 cost if I drive over and pick up, so that part hurts).

My memories of that boat are of sailing, not of the boat in particular, and the boat has had a rough life. Take into account time and yes, it's not reall;y a viable proposition. Mind you, i hadn't looked at the tassie freight cost until this morning, and that may be a sticking point in the whole thing for any mainland purchase.

Plenty of Maricats in Tasmania (over 150 were sold here), but most of them are Mark1s. Not a lot of performance difference between a late Mark1 and a Mark2 - it is boat weight that is critical. A few Maricats (including mine) still race out of Lauderdale Yacht Club. A good one will bring $1500 to $2000 depending on the condition of the sail - all the raced Maricats have modern sails.

G'day Pete, nice to hear from a tasmanian owner :cool:. I did see that lauderdale was still racing maris. Nice to see. I honestly didn't think that there were many about until I started looking online a couple of weeks ago, how wrong was I !!!

Unfortunately Time, money and distance negate me from buying the unit in QLD that I wanted to get, or even the reasonable looking one on ebay at the moment. So perhaps slowly fixing up the old man's will be the go to getting me back on the water.

If you ever see any tasmanian boats for sale shoot me a message ;)

I had a look at the old girl today, maybe at first look I was too keen for it to be bad so I could justify buying a new boat :p

Doesn't look too bad. I dug the sail out, it still seems reasonably crisp and solid. Sail No 1391 and still the rainbow sail.

Hull fittings look ok mostly, a couple of bits of silicone around the drain plug fittings, so maybe a little work there as well as putting some more glass on the hulls (or whatever it needs where it is worn through).

Maybe I will get a new trailer and do the old girl up after all, watch this space!

Hi Phoenix,

Just a thought for you. Early 4.0 and 4.3 Maricats can sell for as little as $200-300 in this market. I have SOLD a couple around this mark and still made money off them.. The way the economy is means there are plenty of deals out there and a lot more neglected boats. It may be worthwhile to buy one cheap with a trailer and use the best parts from both. You will find as soon as you want a part for yours, you will pay through the nose. This soon adds up and eventually will be 2-3 times the cost of just getting a whole boat and trailer. Then sell the leftovers!!!

Good luck with it... Remo

Recycling

It may be worthwhile to buy one cheap with a trailer and use the best parts from both. You will find as soon as you want a part for yours, you will pay through the nose. This soon adds up and eventually will be 2-3 times the cost of just getting a whole boat and trailer. Then sell the leftovers!!!

Good luck with it... Remo

This worked for me.

Peter

• 4 months later...

Hi Phoenix, Are you still thinking of doing up the Mari? I would be happy to see if I can helpo at all too as I am going through the process myself.

re the trailer, you may well be able to find one second hand for a LOT less than that you are looking at for a new one, and with a little work, it could come up quite nicely. Have a ferret around.

I got my tramp remade by a local canvas place for $250. I am really happy with the results, so you could look into that. Though, they would probably need at least half of the old one to model it off. I gave them my old one that was all ripped up and they made a replacement from it.

Keen to see how you get on.

Mark

• 2 years later...

Been a while since I posted this thread, or even look at it (sorry for not replying for a while)

This one is still on the go, sort of, but the challenge is more that of time than dollars as with the kids, a few businesses etc there isn't much time to go around.  

So I'm on the lookout for a 2nd hand mari, or similar, down here, funny as a result of sailing a Calypso Resort 4 in Fiji.  Apparently I looked happy because on return to shore I was asked if I wanted to put one on my christmas list from santa, never say no to an offer like that!  So looking about for one to get and at worst the other boat gets used as spares.  Trick is, Cats seem thin on the ground at the moment so casting a wide net to see what I can find in my $1500 (ish) budget.  Tassie would be better, but we will see what comes up (trouble with mainland boats is the spirit is so expensive).

Thanks for all the previous advice etc, I will be checking back into this advice regularly ;)

One question though, I recall a dent in the roof of a previous car from a failed rigging, can a ball step type fitting be put on an early mari ?  (I think I read later Mk.2's had these from new)

Couple of thoughts:

1. if you look up the Paper Tiger newsletter there seems to be a resurgence of these in Tas, upward of 20 boats out on racedays, not bad.

2. http://www.easytrailer.com.au/folding_trailer_info.html    sell folding trailers - looks like for around $800 you can have a new trailer that should be able to be modified for a cat.  No connections, just saw this a while back and thought it would be good.

Mari hulls are usually quite sound and if the beams and mast are ok then you could be going for not much more coin than your budget.

KO

Archived