Where to get a trailer from?

Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...
I just tried ringing a few places to get a price on a new cat trailer, and the $2100 I was quoted is insane!!!!

I could have a custom one built for half of that surely!

Apart from Mackay (It was a 14ft one of theirs that was quoted), who else makes cat trailers?

That price seams reasonable. Good quality glavanised trailers. They also keep parts in stock which is handy. I had to replace some hull cradles. They posted them out and I recieved them the next day.

I had a custom tilt trailer made up (F18) which set me back more than 5k and it was not galvanised (would have been more). The builder said he would never make it that cheap again. Good trailer though, a little bigger than the 14 footer though.

trailer_5__0001.jpg

• 7 months later...

At least one of the Windy sailors has a box trailer setup. He's put attachments on the square corner holes to push the cat onto. Michael, Warrens son posts here at tornado620 or some such. Pm him.

I'd guess that you'd probably want a 6x4 but would need the drawbar extended. This isn't rocket science and the trailer will never get wet so you shouldn't need galvanising.

The custom cat trailers are certainly light though, mine weighed 100kgs at the weighbridge (for registration) and that included the bottom part of the sailbox.

Ko

Morning,

Dad and I use a gal 6x8 box trailer as Jimbo said. It was made back in about 1992 and Dad made all of the boat support framework himself and got it hot gal dipped, then had a canvas cover made so its basically a tent on wheels that carries boats. He just sewed a new cover for the box section and that saved him over $500 alone.

It's a VERY versatile trailer but I'd say it wouldn't be that cheap to have made these days. I'd think it would be $2000-2500 to do it and that'd be doing a bit of it yourself too.

Interesting observation - that 'insane' reference...

I wonder how little people actually appreciate what manufacturer's and retailers are making on sales these days?

Sure, you can buy cheap, 'last for 3 to 5' years imported stuff - that will totally collapse given any kind of impact or accident – but where's the 'sanity' in that?

We sell hoists (Lift King) and trailers (•M• Trailers) and Windrush cats now too - and the margins are very skinny indeed - but apparently we should be selling for quite ridiculous margins anyway? No wonder businesses are failing at an increasingly alarming rate - expectations about what something should be selling for are quite fanciful... and unrealistic.

Anyway, for what it's worth, $2.5K is very realistic - for an ordinary trailer. We are able to order the newer 'Mastertorque' rubberised axle trailers with a conditional Lifetime Structural Warranty - but could never do those for $2.5K - just not possible...

If we want Aussies in jobs - let's try to be more realistic - and pay for quality and service when it's offered?

....We sell hoists (Lift King)....

To take this in a completely different direction, I'm actually after a hoist, 2 post clear. You got a website PP, or send me some details. thedotransleysatbigponddotcomdotau.

And couldn't agree more about that trailer price. Just built one for a Seaway 24, parts alone were over $3k. Will be around $5k when complete but that doesn't include the rolls of mig wire or the cut-off wheels. Nor the days of labour. YGWYPF.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived