Jib for alpha omega 14?????

yipp-yahh

I have been looking at a few alpha omega 14's and none of them have a jib. I was wondering if there was a reason for this and if not, can one be fitted easily? Can anyone offer some advice on this? Also would appreciate any comments on this boat? Is it a good vessel? Pros and cons??? Yr comments will be used to help decide whether to buy one or not. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Alpha Omega 4.4

The AO4.4 was designed as a one up mainsail only cat back in the 80's by Darryl Barrett of Barrett Boats in Adelaide. They were a fast cat for their time and like Nacra's got rid of the hull to deck join rails that the Maricat, Windrush and Hobie 14 had. Darryl advised me you could stuff the bows under to or past the front beam and provided you didn't slip forward the cat would come up again. Some 300 4.4's were made. They have proved a tough reliable cat but do have their own characteristics. The cat was supplied with a 7m wing mast with a 12 to 1 downhaul. You were supposed to cleat the mainsheet and play the downhaul from on the wire in the gusts going to windward to depower the top of the sail. For a 14 footer they can hobby horse and slam if you don't keep your weight centred especially in choppy seas to windward. If you are looking to buy check the hull join along the keels for gelcoat punctures, pinholes, soft spots or delamination in the coremat layers. Check the water sealing on the deck covers as they can allow water ingress through minor holes if you drive the boat hard. the earlier cats had handles at the top of the centreboard with the upper board cut out. Later models had all solid boards which tapered at the top.

long time sailors told me the AO was a fast cat and very competitive for its size against even larger cats. Daryl said the 4.4 can take a spinnaker but not a jib. FWIW with three solid beams providing what is a very stiff platform you shouldn't have any problem installing a iib and spinnaker as these cats are built tough. Darryl had an excellent youtube video (which hhas since been pulled) and CD on Formula 14 carbon AO's he built but only a couple were made as buyers were scarce. The carbon models came standard with a spinnaker and were a rocket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

AO F14 Video

Darryl had an excellent youtube video (which has since been pulled) and CD on Formula 14 carbon AO's he built but only a couple were made as buyers were scarce. The carbon models came standard with a spinnaker and were a rocket.

The AO F14 video is back up but hardly anyone has viewed it:

It looks like it goes like the clappers even in the rough seas although a couple of nose dives look like they might have been cut out of the video :p Apparently the T foil rudders help keep the hobby horse reined in.

Wish I'd been in the market for one like i am now when AO F14 No. 02 came up for sale on ebay late last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have spoken to Tony (Darryl's son) about the AO F14 and to me it seems it was a bit before its time. When raced against other 14ft cats it would be a triangle ahead by race finish. Then it was put against F16s and it was still a full leg ahead. Then it was put in with the F18s and you had to work hard but occassionally got line honors. Tony will still build these on request but if you want the full blown carbon version they are in the high teens. Nacra have a 430 out now along a similar line but I'm sure the AO F14 would flog it.

Archived