As new jib kit 4.3 Mari

darcy1945

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to leave this for the Super sloop sailors to answer, as I am selling this gear, but will answer anyway, no real advantage upwind (gain speed but loose height), main gains on the reach (and downwind when breeze over 10 kts), ideal if you want to take a crew or teach someone to sail (I sailed sloop class in several regattas just to get juniors on the helm racing, these kids stayed with the class for years and performed well.) Furler is handy if you get caught in a blow. Pitchpoling is a greater risk in a blow when bearing away or gybing.

I think a sloop Maricat is nicer to sail than a cat rigged but unless you are a fat boy you will quickly get over powered in stronger wind. In the lighter conditions like on the inland lakes (like Albury on the weekend !!) it would be fine.

The jib lets you tack quickly and take advantage of the wind shifts.

You should have told me you were keen to try sloop. I had two jib kits and sails with me.

In retrospect

Rod,

Good to catch up with you last weekend - pity I missed the tuning session but lots of guys talked you up - so you made a good impression.

I did not really consider a jib until after the second race while on the way home. Both races were pretty light on as far as wind was concerned but I finished in front of those sloop rigged hobie 14s and Maris anyway (they were novices).

I was thinking more about sloop-rig than super sloop if you follow my meaning. How to get someone new into sailing.

If I had the thought before-hand that would have made more sense in retrospect. But my head wasn't there at that time.

I do have an jib for an old style Mark 1 but no bridle. I was thinking a newer-style jib would go with my new modern-cut main.

Peter

PS - I think I might be fat enough!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darcy, if you get a hold of a 2nd hand jib kit im interested in getting one. Cat rigged in a blow the mari flys but at 90kg i think anything under 10-12kn and im a little heavy. Also how often do 2nd hand racing mains come available (around 200-400 bucks). Does anyone know how i can tighten up the play between the rudders and rudder cheeks (mainly trailing edge). I was thinking some sort of plastic bush/spacer made out of a icecream container or something. I dont know, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived