Wanted - Kick up / flip up rudder assembly (pair) for 14ft cat.

digahole78

Well, there's good news and bad news about catamaran rudders.

First the bad news:

It is possible to make your own rudders stocks from timber or aluminium.

It is also possible to make your own foils; either

- shaped to a NACA0012 template in hardwood; cheap, but heavy and prone to warping in the sun

- from cedar & pine laminate, shaped to template, and then covered with fibreglass cloth for strength; acceptably light but a lot more work

- after making a buck, a mould, and then vac-forming carbon fibre. The ultimate! Which becomes so much work and expense you're better off just buying some.

See some pics and more info at: http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=69&func=view&catid=13&id=131

Buying 2nd hand ones sounds great, but in the past 5 years have not once come across a pair (see previous posts on this forum; use the search bar up at top right of this page).

Possibly an appropriate source for new parts for you are Windrush parts:

http://www.windrushyachts.com.au/online-store.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=25

"Deep rudders complete including tiller extension $1290".

And there's the thing. It becomes cheaper to purchase a complete boat, like this one: http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Sail-Boats/AdNumber=TP004784582

And the good news? Kidding. There was no good news. Good luck with it!

post-23864-13776299420346_thumb.jpg

+1 from me. After selling my well sorted (mainly by the good Mr Darcy) mk2 (with new sail - big capitalisation) I couldn't stop scratching the itch and bought another one, much cheaper this time (no new sail).

It takes a lot of time, effort and patience to fix up a boat that hasn't been raced in recent times. I've kept costs sort of under control but I'm enjoying the journey.

Rudders are a part of the equation (which has many variables). I found that one of mine was getting water into it, drilled a hole and in the recent 34degree day it seems to have dried out - plenty of epoxy filler to fix up again. Even the nice Mari rudders can warp, they also bulge if not cared for.

The other thing is that even with 'proper' rudders you'll not improve the sale value of your particular model. Better to buy a complete boat (leading you once more to the good Mr Darcy). Mari's and Windy's are raced actively so the market is slightly better but you have to be real careful not to overcapitalise.

Like TQ says . .

swing-down rudder system for 4.3 m catamaran

Happy to adapt parts to suit my old 14ft funcat. She runs shallow fixed rudders at the minute but keen to update her with a pair of kick up rudders.

Thanks guys.

I have a set of swing down rudders from a sailing catamaran . Please phone Maroochydore 0754796111

if you want them.

Archived