Maricat 4.8m Feedback...

Bnaccas

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Cat for summer and beyond and I grew up on a Maricat 4.3m.

I was looking for something a bit bigger and I have found a Maricat 4.8m for sale. This is the first time

I have seen one and the hulls look nice and fast. The ad doesn't really have any detail about the model

itself, like if there's a jib included, trapeze. The photos don't show a boom either. Can anyone please

give me some feedback on how they compare to other 14's and 16's?

- Ease of rigging and sailing

- Finding spare parts

- Body weight the Mari 4.8 would comfortably carry for recreational sailing

- Speed compared to older Hobie 16's, Windrush 14 etc

Cost is $1900 which is around what I'm willing to spend. Is that a fair price? (It's in good nic)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brendan

It should have a trap. They are a heavy boat. No boom, Just a main sail. When I use to race against them 20 years ago they were fast. Easy to rigg. 100kg ok weight for sailing.

Its hard to say what a fair price is but it would want to be in excelent condition at that price. The tramp will cost at least $500. so check it out properly. I may have some parts if needed.

Mick 0419999785

$1900- is a LOT for a 4.8. My boss just bought one in excellent condition for $600. They are heavy, very heavy. I have seen them come up in the past for around the same price. Talking that price, stick to the mari- give mick a call (above)- you'll get a lot more cat for your buck. Chris

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I will stay away from it.

I don't know much about Mosquitos or Taipans so will have a look into them. I'm a big fan of Nacra, did a

handful of races on a 5.8 when I was a kid with my Dad. I just remember it was FAST and BIG. I'd be

happy to pick up a 5.0 or 5.2 if I could find one in Melbourne.

The main reason I'm getting away from the Maricat 4.3 is because of load capacity. I thought it would

struggle with 2 adults and 2 kids going for a Sunday cruise. I don't want to have to leave someone on

the beach. Is the hull volume of the original Maricat and the MkII the same? Am I incorrect in saying

the 4.3 would sit extremely low in the water carrying 160kg?

Also, can anyone tell me if Maricat 4.3 sail no. 1938 is a Mk1 or MkII? The owner of one for sail doesn't

know. If there a distinguishing feature that would make it obvious?

160kg and four people would be a lot....and not a lot of room either.

Assuming 1938 is the original sail then it would be a mark 1.

Main feature is that a mark 2 has an integrated rear beam and traveller, while the mark 1 has a separate traveller track.

Other than that the boats are about the same.

1938 is probably around 1980 model.

But the age and mark is not really important.....the condition is the main thing.

The main reason I'm getting away from the Maricat 4.3 is because of load capacity. I thought it would

struggle with 2 adults and 2 kids going for a Sunday cruise. I don't want to have to leave someone on

the beach. Is the hull volume of the original Maricat and the MkII the same? Am I incorrect in saying

the 4.3 would sit extremely low in the water carrying 160kg?

Also, can anyone tell me if Maricat 4.3 sail no. 1938 is a Mk1 or MkII? The owner of one for sail doesn't

know. If there a distinguishing feature that would make it obvious?

I took my 25 yo daughter out on mine and we did tend to sink it until we got going. Even managed to make the windward hull hover a bit. Our tacks had to be carefully thought out in advance.

I'd look at Hobie Getaways for what you want to do.

Mark II has an integrated traveller back-beam whereas on the Mark I these are separate.

Peter

Thanks everyone for the replies. The only thing stopping me from getting something like the Hobie Getaway, newer Nacra etc is

budget. Been advised I have about $2000 to spend (maybe $2500). The old man might be driving down from Nth QLD so might be

able to pick up a cat along the way which might be handy as there are a lot more for sales interstate.

I am looking at a couple Hobie 17's for sale in Victoria. I always liked the look of them back in the day. could this be a good option?

Depending on the condition versus price thingy it could well a very good option. Hobies in general are pretty bullet proof in most departments, 17's have centre boards so this one area that I would be paying attention to as well as having a good squizz at the rudder system which can be another source of annoyance. The sail if I recall is a laminated affair and is prone to delamination and therefore another unwanted cost. Look carefully and you may well be rewarded with a true gem.

Harry

• 4 weeks later...

Archived