Cobra swing dagger boards

foyker

Hi all,

I am restoring an old peter cherry built cobra in Newcastle NSW,one of the dagger boards is just about had it so i was wondering if anyone

knew of any 'laying around' anywhere.

Also a guy on ebay has a mast and boom for sale for a cobra , has anyone checked them out? Are they any good?

Hope to have the cat back on the water soon ,sail number is 239 and will be sailing with spears point club on lake maquarie.

Any help appriciated!

Thanks.

Paul alford.

Hi Paul

Try member Nixon Jr (Robert) here on the forum I think they are working on making glass swing boards. I will be ordering some from them if they are available. As for the mast and boom on e-bay I looked at this not long ago its on the sunshine coast its all there but the mast would have to be striped, sanded and re-painted (surface corrosion) but good condition for the price. Hope this helps

Cheers

Damien

Hi Damo,Robert,

Thanks for the replies,The mast sounds about the same condition as the one i have so i might as keep going with that one.

The centerboard is fiberglass,made in two halves and glued together with foam in the middle.Would you need any measurements to confirm it will fit, or should they all be the

the same?

Thanks again

Paul

Hi Damo , I mean't to ask if you found out any info on your boat? Mine is fiberglass ,it has the 'grip tape'

moulded into a slightly curved deck in a uniform pattern running from the front stays right down to the back,also little cobra symbols moulded into the front deck and transom.I think peter made most of his boats in the 70s and 80s

cheers.

Paul

Hey Paul. I'm making one from scratch unless a bargain comes along in the mean time there has been a few but either to old, to heavy or just couldn't get to see it in time only to find out it has been sold but at least with new you know what your getting. I'm currently racing an F18 at the moment but with a passion to build and race my own boat. Do you have any pics of the restoration?

Cheers

Damien :-)

PS: Hey Robert please check your PM Thanks

I think your on the right track Damo,what was intended to be a quick tidy-up of on old boat to get us on the water has turned into a full restoration job with some unexpected problems that i have to 'hope' i have fixed properly.The main problem is the way the tramp is set up,it is laced to the front and back beams which is normal but the sides are not fixed to the hulls,they just have a wire rope running through them then attached to the beams and tensioned But this has lead to a failure in the rear bulkhead. I have fixed that one but there must be a better way and i am worried about the other bulkheads and wether the hulls are strong enough to have a track or something screwed to them to support the sides.

I attached some photos,the hulls have had some glass work done on the very bottoms ,they had worn paper thin from being dragged on the beach.they have hed two coats of undercoat and one topcoat all with brush and roller but i am not happy with the finish so am in the middle of rubbing back and will spray the final coat. The more i do on it the fussier i am getting!

so now iam thinking i would have been good to start from scratch but it was'nt till i bought the old boat off the side of the road, with my son's insistance,that i've got enthusiastic about cobrs's again.I use to sail them when i was a boy!

Cheers.

Paul

P[ATTACH=CONFIG]438[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]436[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437[/ATTACH]

post-23495-1377826547627_thumb.jpg

post-23495-13778265477433_thumb.jpg

post-23495-13778265478334_thumb.jpg

Looking good Paul,

That must be an old one as the latest peter cherry moulds have the deck "sit" inside a rebate on the hull mould not go around the edges like yours does,

Also i have not seen the cobra moulded on the back like that before!

While you have the boat like it is you are probably best to fill up the old holes in the back and not use those bottom drain holes as we have found that they leak!

Instead use the inspection hatch with a sponge to remove the water :)

Thanks for the pics, "looks good" The hard work will pay of so keep going you will end up with a boat your happy with in the end. I will send some pics when I have done some thing worth while posting but at this stage its just filling and sanding.

Cheers

Damien

Thanks for the encouragement gents,I am happy with the way it's going.The sails are ready,new jib,repaired main and my father has offered to finish painting it and we came up eith a plan for the tramp, so hoping to have it ready for chrisssy holidays!

Robert,did you get a chance to look for that centerboard?

cheers.

Paul.

Hello Robbi,

I won't make the nationals this year , the boat might be ready but i have'nt raced cats for nearly 20 years so i would like to do some club racing

before i try racing you blokes!

Thanks for the centreboard ,if i could meet you on the h/way around newcastle somewere that would be great , just let me know where and when!

cheers

Paul. :)

• 2 years later...

Archived