Maiden Voyage of the 14ft Funcat at the weekend

digahole78

Took my old 14ft Funcat out for the first time on Saturday at Lake Wivenhoe, Qld. My first time sailing and had a real blast. Couldn't get over how fast and agile these boats are. The modern versions must be incredible. I'm a complete novice but my friend is an experienced dinghy sailor. Between us we managed to just about work it all out. Our only real issue was coming about and stalled her more often than not. That'll need a little work.

Think i'm going to get hooked on this. I'm sure i'll be posting many questions over the summer as i use and abuse her so your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439[/ATTACH]

The cats different to tack than a dinghy, when you tack a dinghy because of it's symetrical bow it stays flat to spin onto the next tack. With your cat especially if theres 2 of you on it you need to stay on the windward side until the tack is completed, the boat starts going and it lifts a hull then you jump to the new windward side and flatten out the cat making it squirt forward. Its called a roll tack, try letting the hull come up a long way before you jump across it makes tacking a lot of fun. If you cross too early and keep the cat flat, one of the hulls isn't onto the new heading which will stall you.

Archived