Rigging Arafura Cadets

Emfitty

I'm recently new to sailing and the ac is the first boat of my own but I'm really struggling to work how it is meant to be riggeg because the previous owner has changed a lot of things on the boat and it is not like anything I have ever seen and anything else you can think of that might give me a hand would be great:confused:

thanks

Emfitty

Thanks for the photos.

You've rigged your jib wrong , the jib needs to be near the bottom definately not the top.

It looks like theres a pulley at the top of the forestay, what you need to do is shackle the bottom of the jib to the round ring at the front on your jib bridle wire, then you run the halyard from the top through a pulley up near the mast on the forestay down the front of the jib through that little pulley on the round ring on the jib bridle back to a cleat on the boat somewhere on or near the front beam. Thats so you can adjust your jib downwind but it also means you don't have to seperate your halyard which makes packing up easier.

If theres no pulley there will be a short wire lead to attach the top of the jib so that the jib doesnt quite get to that bottom ring when you pull hard from the bottom, then you attach the halyard to the bottom of the jib, through the little pulley on the jib bridle round ring then back to the cleat on the boat. I don't know your sailing experience but heres some tips to get you off to a good start

The A/C is very sensitive to where you sit on it, if you sit near the back it will be slow to sail, where you sit will depend on how much you weigh, you want to keep the boat at least dead level with the water preferably a bit nose down, replace the short ropes on your trap wires as they look old, you will want to trap a lot, it's a mighty boat in plenty of wind but with my weight it chops the top off every wave so I would drown if I sit in. When you tack stay on the wrong side as long as possible until the other hull starts to rise and the boats on the new tack, then jump over. It's very easy to right make sure it's got a righting line under the tramp and that the end of the mast is sealed.

Archived