Back In the Drink........

amsshaw

G'Day All,

Thought I would introduce myself

After a 15 year break off the water, Im back. Im just about to buy a W14 Sail #4908, on good gal yrailer, two mains, jib, beach rollers etc etc. Just needs a good clean and a few lines replaced, new LEDS and coupling on trailer. But its perfect for my needs, and the minister of war and finance is, well kind of happy about it ! :rolleyes:

Im really only interested in social sailing now as Im 41 and I was pushed very hard to sail in state and nats from a young age (10) and I had a "Kill or be Killed" way of sailing. Now thinking about it I really didnt enjoy it at all , so now Im going to kick back enjoy it and dont care if the W14 is a MK1 or MK3 etc. Ihave found life is to short to get to serious about stuff now......took me a few years to work it out though :rolleyes:

So I thought I would join the forum to ask some q's soon, so any help would be great thanks........:confused:

I did have a look over the cat last Sunday and took a heap of pics, but I couldnt find any numbers on or near the rear beam castings??

I relise its a MK1 but Im guessing it was built around 1986 , any ideas?

Anyway the boat was first sailed at Portarlington (near Geelong) , when was at Warrnambool, then Portland (1 yr) and then to Hamilton when I buy it this saterday. Its slowly making its way back West :-)

Hope to talk to you guys soon.

Cheers

Andrew

Hamilton Vic.

this is your time to enjoy sailing your way. you should get involved in racing' date=' there's nothing quite like it, even as part of the traffic - it's quite lonely for those who strive to be at the front of the fleet all the time, fighting for last place can also be great fun![/quote']

Thanks mate, I know Im saying now I just want to cruise around now , but as soon as I hit the water with other boats around I will be wanting to screw as much out of the W14 as I can.......So get ready for set up advice ie mast rake etc etc :rolleyes:

Well I now have a W14. When I picked it up i had to "play" with the old trailer coupling as its the the old screw down type and the bolt head was spinning in the tounge underneth.

So Im glad I took a cold chisel and belted it up one side of the head and lubed up with CRC and got it on. Also had to rewire the light plug and repair the right blinker wire (almost broken) , replace two globes.....but other than that it went well.......

Only one issue, after I cleaned the hulls down I noticed there are a few very small stress lines on both decks inboard from the side stay eyes.....the boat was so dirty when I looked it over I didnt see them.....Oh well just hope it holds together ok.

Ive already started to drive the wife mad, I had one of the mains in the bath for a good wash and the main & jib sheet. Marie didnt know me when I used to sail, so Im guessing she will need to get used to it.....:p

oh, I also noticed that some one has written inside the left hull near the hatch a date. Looks like it was written with a texta/maker and is 6/7/84....Is that the build date ??

Anyway, have a goodin .........

Quite possibly is a build date. The sail number suggests it could be a bulkhead boat (should be a marine ply bulkhead under both beams).

The stress cracks are not really a problem, that area just flexes and the gelcoat doesn't flex at the same rate. They all do it and i've seen 1 rip out in 19yrs sailing Windrush.

You're game cleaning sails etc inside the house...

Quite possibly is a build date. The sail number suggests it could be a bulkhead boat (should be a marine ply bulkhead under both beams).

The stress cracks are not really a problem, that area just flexes and the gelcoat doesn't flex at the same rate. They all do it and i've seen 1 rip out in 19yrs sailing Windrush.

You're game cleaning sails etc inside the house...

Thanks for that. As it turns out the date is in the right hull aswell.

If you look inside the hatchs , straight down there is a foam rectangle and it looks like its covered with fibre lass. If you look towards the bow there are two more bigger blocks of the same foam, but cant see much in the way of a boulkhead, just a small roundish block about were the large hull bolt head crews into.....I should drop my camera in there and take a shot for the hell of it.......

I guess if someone can tell me what type MK 1 it is , it will help later when I have more question to ask.

The main I washed came up really well, after washing I rinced off then drained and let it sit in the bath then took into my back room to dry. I usally would have taken it outside to dry, but we are having bloody stupid weather down here at the moment. But What the wife doesnt know wont hurt her :rolleyes:

I cleaned the hulls down with some heavy duty cleaner the detailers use at work for getting hard to move bugs of the cars, but the hulls will need a really good polish to bring them up. I was going to use a heavy duty car cut & polish, but Im not sure if it will cut it.......

I also went around and tightnd up every bolt and screw I could see. Both bow fore stay saddles were fairly loose. Its very easy to see the last two owners did not look after this boat to well.......Or Im just very anal about maintaining my gear.......

Here are some pics of my port hull......I hope anyway

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536[/ATTACH]

The batterys were going down fast so flash wasnt that flash......

So I think my boat is a MK 1 with the timber baulkheads?? Sail # 4908 Built 16/7/1984. As I said above it really doesnt matter , just will help if I can confirm so when asking questions I dont need to go through this whole thing again........

Cheers

andrew

Photos speak a 1000 words.

Its not a bulkhead, its just prior because it has glassed in foam. In photo 1 you can see the bulge for the beam recess and there is no bulkhead present around there. If it was a bulkhead boat then you wouldnt be able to see the bow because the marine ply section would stop your view beyond the beam.

Anyway the foam looks like it is still seated well which is a very good thing.

Have fun with it though!

mate

Michael is right, it is just before the bulkhead models which is not such a bad thing. This boat has had some work done to the foam in the hulls as they are glassed in, the originals only had the foam glued in and being triangular in shape would break away and ride up making the side flex in, so in hindsight it was a great buy. What are the sails like multi coloured or white dacron and is there a sailmakers logo on the bottom. Where abouts do you intend to sail?

Giving the hulls a polish is not a concern, this model had really thick gelcoat so a cut and polish should not be a problem, just go easy around the edges where it is easier to go through the gelcoat. I've restored a number of these including saving one from the dump. If you need info don't hesitate to give me cal 0421 927 146.

Paul

mate

Michael is right, it is just before the bulkhead models which is not such a bad thing. This boat has had some work done to the foam in the hulls as they are glassed in, the originals only had the foam glued in and being triangular in shape would break away and ride up making the side flex in, so in hindsight it was a great buy. What are the sails like multi coloured or white dacron and is there a sailmakers logo on the bottom. Where abouts do you intend to sail?

Giving the hulls a polish is not a concern, this model had really thick gelcoat so a cut and polish should not be a problem, just go easy around the edges where it is easier to go through the gelcoat. I've restored a number of these including saving one from the dump. If you need info don't hesitate to give me cal 0421 927 146.

Paul

G'Day Paul,

Thanks the extra info.

Sails are both plain white Dacron. The older one has no makers name, which Im guessing is the orginal sail. The other was made by Horizon (spelling?) , its newr and looks like it was recut at some point as it has newer heavier dacron from around the mid section to the leach of the sail. Both seem to be in good condition, but Im hoping to rig the boat over the next few days, so then I will see what there like the up stick.

Also while talking sails it seems the new mylar are much fuller that the head, is that right?

When the guy sent us some pics to my phone of the 2nd sail I thought it was half dacron and half mylar, but not the case.........

Sounds like the first is the original sail and the second is a race sail. Horizon does ring a bell, I think I've seen them on TYs. It would be unlikely to be a combination of both dacron and mylar. The maker, Windrush yachts provided a new cut mylar main and jib for mainly sloop and super sloop racing. They still work fine for cat configuration but require a different technique to the older cut dacron. The head of the sail is larger to cater from the extra righting moment of being on trap.

You can find a few sailmakers who will copy the production mylars, but in the long run you can't better the existing "Hills Sails". They fit the boat really well and looked after provide many years of use and for the few dollars you save on the non standard sails the production sails are the way to go. For details ring Brett at Windrush in WA. He has always supported the class very well. I have a good old dacron set which I keep for fun sailing and racing on big breeze days when your trying to throw away as much canvas as you can and keep the mylars for the others.

If you want to get into racing later you will need to acquire a set to be competitive and "legal" at regatta, state and national level. At club level most competitors don't mind if you use a non standard sail provided it does measure in. The sails you have now are legal but the cut is different and this will be really evident in the mid range breezes.

At his stage just enjoy your boat as it is and when you ready to get into serious racing purchase a new set of mylars, this will turbo your existing boat. If all's good keep your eye out for a foam sandwich boat which will come with mylars. Keep the new mylars and sell your old boat with the dacrons. You now have a latest design hulls and two sets of gear.

The main thing is just go out and enjoy the boat as is, there is not much better around in the 14 class. PS Don't tell the mari guys that.

Don't hestiate to call or ask questions on the forum if you have any questions, there is a lot of guys who have been in the class for years and love talking about them.

Paul

Sounds like the first is the original sail and the second is a race sail. Horizon does ring a bell, I think I've seen them on TYs. It would be unlikely to be a combination of both dacron and mylar. The maker, Windrush yachts provided a new cut mylar main and jib for mainly sloop and super sloop racing. They still work fine for cat configuration but require a different technique to the older cut dacron. The head of the sail is larger to cater from the extra righting moment of being on trap.

You can find a few sailmakers who will copy the production mylars, but in the long run you can't better the existing "Hills Sails". They fit the boat really well and looked after provide many years of use and for the few dollars you save on the non standard sails the production sails are the way to go. For details ring Brett at Windrush in WA. He has always supported the class very well. I have a good old dacron set which I keep for fun sailing and racing on big breeze days when your trying to throw away as much canvas as you can and keep the mylars for the others.

If you want to get into racing later you will need to acquire a set to be competitive and "legal" at regatta, state and national level. At club level most competitors don't mind if you use a non standard sail provided it does measure in. The sails you have now are legal but the cut is different and this will be really evident in the mid range breezes.

At his stage just enjoy your boat as it is and when you ready to get into serious racing purchase a new set of mylars, this will turbo your existing boat. If all's good keep your eye out for a foam sandwich boat which will come with mylars. Keep the new mylars and sell your old boat with the dacrons. You now have a latest design hulls and two sets of gear.

The main thing is just go out and enjoy the boat as is, there is not much better around in the 14 class. PS Don't tell the mari guys that.

Don't hestiate to call or ask questions on the forum if you have any questions, there is a lot of guys who have been in the class for years and love talking about them.

Paul

Thankyou again Paul, very helpfull info there.

Im sorry mate , I dont think I wrote the bit about the main being Dacron & Mylar very well, I will explain.

When I saw the ad for the boat in our Local rag which I was amused to see as only 0.1% of people in the area would have a clue what a windrush is, and the guy thought it was a Windrush 12.......But after he spoke about it shounded more like a 14.

Anyhoo he said he would send some pics of the boat & sails to my mobile phone, which he did. But when he had the sail laid out on the driveway, the angle & distance the sail looked as if it was both dacron & Mylar. Because I havnt been following the lastest & greatest for 15 yrs I really had no idea what was about now. But after looking over the boat and sails the weekend before I bought it I soon saw it was all dacron

So after all that in one of the pics the differance in the sail was huge, maybe I was just hoping it was part mylar and I got a even better bargin.......:rolleyes:

Dont worry I will have more questions for you guys in the comming weeks. Im hoping to rig the boat soon and sort some stuff out, like the main sheet, its a real mess....

Oh I just remembered , I had a good look at the jib that came with the boat, no makers name but has a black Bulls head on the forward bottom cnr i.e near the for stay........But no blocks to run the sheet.........

Sorry Paul I didnt say where Im sailing. Well for a start I will sail on Lake Hamilton , a man made lake. I did havea very strong club here until a about 15 years ago, for a few reason, i.e no water, members moving away for work, cost of fuel etc etc etc.

Portland YC is well worth a visit and Horsham, stawell and Warrnambool still have smaller fleets, so I will need to travel if I want to cruise with others........

You probably have picked up quite a good boat. 14' cats were the rage back in the 70 and 80s and there is quite a few still around that have been sitting in sheds and on trailers. I picked one up a few years that a guy use for 12 weeks a year at Xmas and had owned the boat for over 15 years. The boat is now in my brother's backyard.

Be glad to assist in any questioned you may have and if rigging is required I'll take a number of photos of my windy and send them down.

have a great Xmas and New Year and hopefully we can chase each other around the track sometime.

Paul

Im happy with it for the price I paid. Of course I would love to have a new foam with all the new gear but it would be wasted here.

Maybe later on I may head to a state just to bob around and at least meet up with the other Vic guys.....And try and stay out of the way :rolleyes: There are battles going on all threw the fleet, not just at the front........

NO hang on , that may not be a good idea.......thats when I would end up wanting a new boat.......

Cheers

Andrew S

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Interested to read this thread. I too have a MK 1 sloop rigged Windy which I bought for $750 incl trailer 2 years ago. With one new rudder, new springs in the tiller poles, new lacing etc, the old girl sails like s**t off a shovel. I originally sailed a similar 14ft Cat, a Hawke surfcat, in WA in the 70's. It was developed as a Windrush lookalike, had fuller bows, simpler rigging and fixed rudders, but that's about as far as it went. It was a great cat for surf sailing and I broke 4 masts over 12 months riding the shorebreaks around Perth, Yanchep and Albany. That was when I was in my early 30's.

Now at 65 I'm reliving the thrill of sailing a cat at Anglesea Vic. At 116 kg I don't really need a trap and anything up around 20 to 35 km/h winds, makes for a great sail.

I'm not really interested in racing with my dacron sails against the local Hobie dominated old salts; I just like to get out on my own and have one helluva great time. I figure that since I've got snotty yellow hulls then the rescue helicopter would have no trouble finding me somewhere in Bass strait if I lost my way on a strong northerly.

Meanwhile Andrew, maybe we could have a 2 boat regatta sometime around Warrnambool or somewhere in between Anglesea and Hamilton!!

Best wishes

Hockeye (Bruce)

From the pics of the inside of the boat it is what people call a MK2. It is made with the woven rovings (1979 on) but has coremat in the decks and no buheads. I guess it is about a 1984, pre bulkhead change and the sail nimber kind of matches up to that time line.

Archived