Alpha Omega 4.4m on Mackay trailer

Glen K

· Very good condition for its age (1985) - Alpha production ceased in1986.

· Wing mast.

· All new lines and shock-cord.

· Fibreglass sailbox.

· Beach trolley.

· Near new life-jacket, trapeze harness and beach rollers (fenders) – see photo.

· Mackay trailer – registered till 23 June 2012.

Price: $1900

Contact Glen at Strathalbyn SA on 08 8536 2197; Mob. 0427 876 099 or glen_kraemer@hotmail.com

Thanks QB2 for advising members of the link to this boat on Ebay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521[/ATTACH]

Nice to see you did manage to log in eventually.

I have rechecked my rudders and am re-marking the downhaul lines to ensure I have the correct slight weather helm position sdo thanks for your welcome information. I will probably have to install new non stretch ropes as there is still a little bit of fore and aft rudder movement so I am looking at ways to reduce that sway further.

expect to give the cat a run very soon.

Mark

G'day Mark,

I use non-stretch Spectra 3mm line to raise and lower rudders only. However, if I don't 'pin' the rudders down and rely on the line, water pressure causes the rudders to rake aft leading to heavy steering and weather helm - presumably there's some 'give' in the v-cleat on the tiller. If you're going to pin the rudders I found that sleeving the hole in the rudder with aluminium tube (trimmed for minimal slop) works very well. I might stop there because you probably know that and a whole lot more.

Glen

I have several pre-drilled holes in the alloy rudder housing but never thought of using pins. Must investigate further as the rope system I have uses a two to one line through a block to tighten the rope but is still inefficient and always seems to stretch. Your idea is a simple and cheap option i will have a look at.

Please make any other suggestions you like.

G'day Mark,

Apologies for delay - don't get on the net a lot.

I use a quarter inch stainless pin - from a chandlery down here. It's attached by shock cord when sailing or with rudder up. However, it has worked its way loose while travelling, so I use a bolt with nut for that bit. I've noticed wear and tear often occurs during transport so I've gone to some lengths to minimise this - this behaviour started many years ago in my hang gliding days. The last photo shows some red rubber inserted between rudder and pulleys on rudder housing to minimise damage through bouncing while travelling. The black rudder tip covers and blue occy strap also helps to take the load off the bolt (and associated hole through rudder) holding up the rudder while travelling. Yes, it's all a bit fiddly but worth it.

Another home-grown idea, from Photo 1, is to have the two lines for lowering (black) and raising (red) the rudders. So when I depart I pull the rudders down progressively as the water gets deeper. When well out from the shore I 'pin' them. On return, I 'de-pin' well out and the rudders are then held by the black line. Very close to shore, I release that line and prepare to start raising them with the red line just before hopping off the boat. I don't like rudders dragging or bouncing on the bottom. Does that sound a fairly amateurish way of managing the rudders? Yes it does, but it works for me. This may spur a flurry of responses from others... not too many I hope.

I'm not confident the photos will come though...?

Glen

post-23821-13778265565035_thumb.jpg

post-23821-13778265565717_thumb.jpg

post-23821-13778265566381_thumb.jpg

post-23821-13778265567282_thumb.jpg

Thanks Glen, am Most impressed and you deliver great images

I have both up and down haul lines but the uphaul are the tiniest spectra and don't last much and I continue to get stretch from the downhaul which is why rudder rake varies.

i will check out my nearest chandlery for suitable pins.

Archived