Calypso 16 info

grantxx

Hi not sure if this is right place to post, and hi to forum members,

I am looking at purchasing a calypso 16 for under 2k, sounds OK have not seen it yet, just wondering if anyone can shed any info on these, good bad or indifferent, any info really appreciated as very new to this sport, have easy access to wivenhoe dam to learn on before heading into the bay.

Thanks in advance Grant from Ipswich

G'day Grant, welcome to the sport! sorry that nobody with a Calypso has posted I sailed with one at the Lake Eyre Regatta and it looked to be a solid cat. They had a family of 4 or 5 at different times on it and it still went okay, if the price is close to $2000 you would want good sails and trampoline for that price. When you go to look at the boat put the rudders down and give them a bit of a shake pulling backwards not real hard, if the rudder pops up easily the camlock is worn and will need some repair to lock down the rudders when you sail. When you look at the boat you could take some photos of the hulls, rudders, sails etc and post them here on the site so we can give you a better idea. Would be good for the current owner to take you for a sail and if he just tells you how to rig the boat while you do the work. You will need beach rollers for it if the owner hasnt got beach rollers check under the rear of the cat and I bet the gelcoat will be worn through from dragging on the sand thats bad as the glass can get worn as well and split letting water in. If the gelcoat is worn underneath and there is a slight crack down the middle of the fibreglass that will affect its value and I wouldn't sail it until you reglass it which isn't a hard job. Feel free to post any more questions. I know a guy who sails with his family at Wivenhoe on a Calypso 16 and he posts video, pics etc at

http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/

I cant really put his name here without permission but you can search him out there, just look for the blue Calypso photo in the members photos or pm me and I will give you his name, I know he will give you plenty of info

Archived