Rig tention?

amsshaw

G'Day All,

I rigged the boat this morning before it got to hot.

I noted straight away that I could hook the side stays on without pulling the trap wire to get extra leverage as we used to do on all the old Windies around here years ago.

I can pull the fore stay about 150-200mm without a problem at all and of course a bit more if I really pull.......

What is a normal rig tention amount and also looks like the mast is raked back to around the middle of the tramp aswell........

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, on the stock boats the rigging just clips on loosely as you have stated, there was a 6mm line tied on each of the twin forestays led back to cleats on the outboard end of the front beam. The idea was, pull the lines tight downwind to stand the mast up, and release them upwind to rake the mast. Nobody on the race scene uses them, or the twin forestays, unless sailing cat rig.

Andrew

I assume you have the forestay inside the jib luff and a bridle to each bow. It appears that the side stays maybe too long. The rake should be about the middle of the tramp and the tension should be as you mentioned ie, you need the trap wire to clip on the stays. If it was raced there should be side adjusters on the bottom of the stays and one on the hounds for the jib.

If the rig is that loose the stays maybe of the old cat rig boats when 2 forstays were used to the bows. Those rigs stood the mast up with minimal rake. If you have or intend to obtain stay adjusters then you should have enough stay to cut and reswage your existing wires.

When setting your rake you will find that when it is in the right position the boat (in nice breeze 12 - 15 knots) will tack quite well if the rake is too far aft the boat won't tack without an outboard motor and if to upright the boat will nose dive the leeward hull when going down hill. It is only about a hole either way on the adjusters.

Paul

I have the single forestay with bow bridle.

The side stays are trhe stock factory with the long ajusters. They still even have the blue and white poly stay covers on them......loads of windage/drag there Im guessing.......

When I sailed it last Wednesday cat rig it was a real dog to tack (yes I know using a jib helps alot), upto about 13 knots, Im 92kg but the breeze was swinging all over the place upto 180 dec at one point......felt like every time I had to tack I got a knock when just going into the tack, then of course it stald.......

Lake Hamilton is very long but narrow and the breeze was from the South so I needed to tack the whole way up the bloody lake! So I got a little pissed off.

I tried everything I could remember, make sure I had plenty of speed going in, stay right back near the rear beam courner to kind of roll tack it etc etc but it just wouldnt pull around....

So next time I think I will back off the side stays a hole or two and see what happens. When I got the boat they were at hole two from the top, now at hole 5, to take a heap of slop out of the rig, but I think Ive gone too far........

Cheers

Andrew S

post-6864-13776299452134_thumb.jpg

Archived