I am a new QB3 owner.

martchab

Hi all

I am new here. I bought a QB3 a couple of weeks ago. It's very nice, but i haven't sailed it yet as the hulls need attention.

I am looking for other QB2/3 owners or ex owners to provide me with their feedbacks on how to sail them, handle them, fix them, and whatever else...

I am looking forward to your inputs.

Cheers

Martin

Martin what hull repairs do you need to do apart from paint which appears to be an ongoing affair with cubes?

richard where do you sail yours?

Mark

Hi Mark

I haven't put the boat in the water, but it appears to be leaking a fair bit. The centerboard cases need some work, and there are a lot of ugly fibreglass repairs (looks like someone has fibreglassed, but forgot the sanding work afterwards...) around the hulls that need grinding down and redoing. I emptied about ten liters of water of each hull. The boat hasn't sailed for years. There also are some cracks on the decks, on some old repair work that i will have to work on. I also intend to replace the ports in the deck, and maybe ad some bungs on the back of the hulls. Then a good one pack polyurethane paintwork should do the trick...

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Martin

i bought my QB from a guy in Townsville who admitted that the boat had been allowed to sit full of water for some time All i could see was the very expensive and professional paint job and the price was cheap. When I got it home my daughter said 'Bubbles' and proceeded to go down the hulls pushing her fingers into and through the hulls. You might have to do the same. Have a close look at the hull to deck join as this seems to be a problem area. I would give yourself plenty of room to get in and access the centreboards so you can rebog around the cases with automotive puttyto ensure a watertight seal along the keel. I never had a problem with my cases as a result. i always had deck cracks and repainted every year or so.

if you don't want the boat out of action for any length of time do what you have to and then go sailing.. However because the structural integrity of my cube was in doubt I never regretted pulling off the rotten decks and some sections on the upper hull sides. Having the decks gone allowed me access to check and replace where needed beams, cases, bulkheads and rudder bolts. I found my starboard hull had a repair that was about 1200mm long and 30mm deep and the bottom edge was a butt joint where they used a bit of old 90 degree beading and buckets of bog to make the join look presentable. I cleaned the mess up and glassed inside and out and the joib nenver moved. I used fibreglass tape along the hull to deck join to try to prevent leaks. Some photos of the repairs or general condition would be nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Our boat I think was origonly Colin Bird's Cold duck.

We picked it up from Melbourne last August. They are Marmion hulls,and Barry and I had a good look over them and they are not bad.They were however painted with car paint which is quite soft and cracks along the deck.

I've had the boat all set up and riged.Fixed all the little bits. Just waiting for my son to finish it.

So the furthest it's got in the last three months is to get across my back yard in Brackenridge.

Don't know where He's going to sail it. though I,ve told him to join a club. as these things can be quite hard to get use to.

Our last boat was the Bees knees which we built sailed and sold because of kids in 1985.

Regards.

Richard

Not very far...I have taken it apart and the hulls are now dry, in the shed, waiting for me to find some time to look after them...I'll keep you posted, with some photos. I hope to get a start on them in the next three weeks, and to complete the job within three months...Wish me luck...

Archived