wisdom and guidance required.

nadnerb

Hi, just

bought a 16 sq after 9 years out from social sailing. could someone help with 2 questions

1) how does one person get this mast up without breaking a boiler or something on the boat.

2) can someone either send me drawing or give directions on how to setup the downhaul for the 16 sq nacra.

thanks heaps

Where are you situated??

Good luck with the mast with one person. There is a pin that fits at the base of the mast to lock it to the ball. One of the guys at our club takes a ladder down to the club to hold the top of the mast up then he gets on the tramp and tilts it up from there. it does not solve the problem of putting fore stays on but does cut the proccess to 2 people. don't forget that when you use the pin the mast has to be 90 deg to it's normal possition in regard to rotation.

Down haul are different on each boat depending on whether it is 8 to 1 or 12 to 1.

regards mark

G'day Nadnerb this is how I put my Stingray mast up on my own and would work with your boat

If you disconnect your car, turn your cat around so that the rear beam is near the front of your trailer you can rest your mast on the mast stand of your trailer at a steep angle, the closer your cat to the trailer the higher your mast will be. Then run a rope tightly from your trapeze wire through a temporary bridle you make which is just a wire that shackles accross the front between your chainplates, on the Stingray I had a fore beam. Run that rope under your tramp back up around your rear beam then through your traveller cleat and tie it to your mast about shoulder height. Now when you lift your mast the rope will cleat and you can stop at any stage. Taking it down is the same but your committed from the time you untie the rope from the mast there is no stopping and you need to get it back on the trailer mast stand.

See you at next years nationals

look at places like Trailer Sailer Place (tsp.com.au) - different situation but heaps of people have constructed systems that help to raise the mast. Even my 7m Careel 18 mast is a big heavy lump of allum and requires a certain technique to get it in the air but can be done solo.

you could try a gin pole or something like that. thankfully the maricat is quite easy to rig.

Raising the mast from the front is a simple matter. Firstly acertain how level the hulls are from side to side, attach the front stays and the side stay on the higher side hull.If the boat is completely level just prop it with a couple of life jackets. The mast will sit at an angle to the hulls at first however upon lifting holding pressure on the mast which will hold the side stay taught simply lift the mast until lhe front stays are tight . Grab the one remaining stay which will be the lower side stay and the mast will sit there until you fix the stay to the hull. I lift my nacra from the trailer and slide it back then turn it to an angle that allows the mast to sit on one rear roller until all prep work is done . With this method you do not need to walk on the tramp ( which i think is good for long life of such ) and is a very good method with either one on more people . I hope this helps

From an old post in Rigging Tips and Tricks

This is a topic covered often in many forums and one that will never go away. With some practice and knowledge you can raise a 5.8 or bigger mast solo, and it is hard to explain here but easy to show, but I will try.

I set up the boat on the grass or beach with the bow heading down a slight hill or down the beach. The rollers are then place right at the rear of the boat. As far back as possible.

The mast is layed along the boat with it balancing on both beams with the foot near the bows.

The side stays are attached along with the trap wires, but this is not a must, they can stay wrapped around the stays if this is how you pack up.

I then have a rope attached to the forestay and running through a shackle or ring on the bridal then layed back to the rear beam.

Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball. This needs practice to do alone, but can me managed. It is easier if you have your trailer nearby, or something to hold the top end of the mast. I use my trailer mast holder as I can, but I have used fences, trees and even a beach unbrella. Your car roof racks are great too.

The mast is now ready to be lifted and I start lifting where it is comfortable. That varies on how many beers I may have had the night before and how much strength I think I have.

I then walk to the stern of the boat with the mast at shoulder height. Once at the stern I rest it on my shoulder grab the rope that is attached to the forestay, as I am going to keep this reasonably tight as I walk the mast up the rest of the way.

The rollers now come into play. I use the axle as my first step up onto the boat. It is much easier that trying to lift the mast and take the big step onto the rear beam.

The mast is still at shoulder height and mainly I use my shoulder until I get onto the rear beam or tramp.

Once I am up there, I grab the mast with two hands and walk it up, with the forestay rope being transfered between hands as I keep walking it up.

Once I have it upright, I have the forestay almost in position due to the rope and if I keep this tight, the mast will stay up and I can jump off the front beam and shackle the forestay in place.

It is a rather quick process and takes a few practice sessions with some mates around in case you get into trouble, but it is worth it in the long run.

You can run the rope through any block with a cleat on the boat as well if you have one (jib block) and it will hold in position at any stage.

I can do it with most masts if set up right.

Raising the mast

Hi all.

This is what I used do with my 14sq. Works every time and is very simple.

I use a six foot ladder with a bit of foam taped to the top to prevent damage to the mast. Place this at the rear of the boat and sit your mast on it. This prevents damage to the tillers/ steering and attach the foot of the mast to the ball and use the pin to lock it in. Also helps when lifting the mast by having the mast a little higher. Attach the sidestays to the mast and boat, attach the trap rig, tie a decent piece of rope to the trap 'handles' and run this forward. attach a pulley or block of some sort either to the tow bar or roof racks, run the rope through it and lay it on the tramp. Lift the mast up to verticle, pull on this rope till it is tight and either tie it to the mast or lock it with a cleat of some sort. Your mast is now secured. Attach the forestays, you only need one to hold it secure ( the 14 sq has two). remove the rope etc and the job is done. Use your trap harness to tension/adjust the rig. If you dont have a trap rig, use one of the forestays.

What I do now is similar. I bought a cheap 2000lb 12v winch from Ebay with Dyneema rope and a wireless remote. I have the winch mounted under the tray in my ute ( You could attach it to the trailer). once I have the mast verticle i press the button and the winch pulls the trap wires forward until secure. Attach the forestays etc. I reverse this process to get the mast down. Although the winch is fairly slow I have used it to pull the boat onto the trailer when retrieving the boat single handed from the water.

If you have beach rollers, placing these at the rear of the boat will tilt the whole lot forwards. Once the mast is up gravity will stop it from falling backwards, you can lengthen the side stays to help this more. Quickly secure one of the forestays and this will secure the mast.

Talk to Roscoe at Briscat and join a club. Nothing like experience to help you with your sailing.

Archived