Windrush 14 Rudder Problem

McKrassy

Hello everyone,

I just sailed my Windrush yesterday for the first time in two years. Had baby in the meantime, so did not get the chance to go out onto the lake for a while. The boat had been sitting in my backyard covered with a tarp, and it seemed in perfect working condition except for one thing: The right rudder did not seem to stay up in its "park position". I had a close look at it and found that there is a 3mm or so rope in the rudder assembly that frayed; I suspect that is something to do with it. On the working left rudder the rope is very tight and seems to go over one of the rollers but I could not see how it all hangs together and I am not keen to take the working rudder apart. Can anyone explain to me how that is meant to work; does anyone have photos?

Also, the (black on my boat) aluminium tupe now easily detaches from the rudder, you can just pull it off. Even on closer inspection of the working left rudder I could not work out how that is actually being held on.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Malte.

Ah. Thank you. Now all I have to do is take the rudder apart and fix it. I think I even have a spare spring. Following your reply I found this thread here: http://catsailor.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-3194.html However, as it turns out the explosion drawing that is referred to in the post is no longer available at the given link. Does anyone have that drawing somewhere? It is a bit daunting to pull the whole thing apart without having a clue what to expect; I may never get this back together again. Also, I am in Canberra and there is very few people available that could help.

Thank you,

Malte.

Ah. Thank you. Now all I have to do is take the rudder apart and fix it. I think I even have a spare spring. Following your reply I found this thread here: http://catsailor.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-3194.html However, as it turns out the explosion drawing that is referred to in the post is no longer available at the given link. Does anyone have that drawing somewhere? It is a bit daunting to pull the whole thing apart without having a clue what to expect; I may never get this back together again. Also, I am in Canberra and there is very few people available that could help.

Thank you,

Malte.

It is possible it may be a corroded spring, or also likely the internal spring, similar to that on a kids trampoline, hooks onto a rubber end cap, it has more than likely pulled through that, the other end of the spring is connected to a small bolt goes through rudder arm, you will have to pull one end of the spring out using some thin rope and then push a screwdriver through the spring to keep it out, jamming it across the opening of the tube it is in, then you can replace the rubber connector. The spring is quite strong.

Go down to the YMCA sailing club in Canberra. There are a few Windrush there from time to time including some previously very good Windrush sailors.

It may be the rudder knuckle but it normally there is a bolt just behind the knuckle which is used as a backup just in case the knuckle pulls through.

The other possibility is that the wire that attaches to the other end of the spring has snapped which can happen. They are a bit of a pain because the swage that locks into the rudder casting corrodes itself in over time. Lots of WD40, a big hammer and punch is required.

My bet is either spring or knuckle.

There is a trick to doing the repair but if you search here I've previously posted how to do it. The biggest thing is when putting it all back together and tensioning the spring, DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER to hold the tension of the spring while you put the knuckle back on. Its a sure fire way to end up with a pretty serious injury, use a piece of flat bar or something

• 5 years later...

Hi, Its a while since this thread began, but having just purchased an elderly w14, good basics, but several areas that needed attention, including rudders. These were not functioning, with rollers and cams shot etc.. Having read the posts was a little concerned. Since then have successfully  reconditioned them and through necessity discovered a few wrinkles that can make the joke less difficult. 

1# inserting spring into new rubber tiller links

Purchased new rubber till links. Tried on a dry run to insert the spring end, and was a real struggle even after bending the top loop out and risking breaking the high tensile spring steel. Clearly couldn't do this with the whole thing in tension during re-assembly. 

Instead used a small shackle to attach to the rubber tiller link. Had to shave the rubber lips round the hole a little, and then on the shackle, ground the metal round the hole to be in line with the shackle arms. Used a split pin thought the tiller link hole and then the loop of the shackle was availablel to receve the spring loop later. This only added 0.5 cm so little lose of tension. ([picture)

2#  Loading the spring and inserting tiller link under tnesion

This is the step that I had danced around for days.  In the end by using the main sheet to tension the spring this was easy and safe. 

- Connected the bottom link of the spring to the rudder wire.

- Lined up the various elements, spring, rudder raise rope, spring,

- Threaded a strong line through the tiller handle (with pvc liner) and tied securely to top loop of spring. The other end of this rope was threaded through the jib guide on the same side as the rudder. The rope then continued through and was tied to the top block of the main sheet.  (picture)

- The tiller arm was now slide down over the spring, and the rope tensioned until spring emerged from top of tiller handle. This was secured by placing steel blade inside spring loops across top of the tiller handle so it couldn't retract.

- rope was untied from top of the spring and the top of the spring inserted through the shackle placed in the tiller joint. The rope was then re-tied round the smaller peg of the tiller joint and re-tensioned. The blade was removed and the thick end of the tiller extension, now connected to the top of the spring in tension, was gradually fed back into the tiller arm and positioned.  

IMG_20170321_102915932.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/8/2012 at 2:09 PM, druggsrus said:

It is possible it may be a corroded spring, or also likely the internal spring, similar to that on a kids trampoline, hooks onto a rubber end cap, it has more than likely pulled through that, the other end of the spring is connected to a small bolt goes through rudder arm, you will have to pull one end of the spring out using some thin rope and then push a screwdriver through the spring to keep it out, jamming it across the opening of the tube it is in, then you can replace the rubber connector. The spring is quite strong.

the spring hooks up to the wire loop at the rudder end, at lest in the one I took a part today.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:14 AM, Prince Planet said:

The small shackle through the flexible tiller joint is an excellent modification... nice work...
:)

You don't need it, I would guess they have put the spring in back to front, the hook has enough room to slip on- but it has to be removed from the xbar to do it.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, JohnTSV said:

added pic

rudder 01.JPG

rudder 02x.JPG

I really can't see the problem that you had to use a shackle, take the rope off the joint and hold it perpendicular to put it on- then pull it out, remove your scrapper and align the cord then drop it back in- simple as, put a little 316 self tapper screw on the underside to stop it pulling thru. I'd replace the cord while its all apart, easy to do. Spray the spring, a light mist of inox- then it will never rust out ;)