Long distance racing in Oz

Tincan to Hervey Bay, 2 days , is a top event sailed by trailables, would be an ideal marathon event for OTB cats and dinghys. The great race could also be stretched to 2 days, day2, Manly to Bribie. Events like this would interest a lot of southern sailors. The Hawksbury River, Wisemans Ferry, to Pittwater/Patonga? is another possible.

My 2 cents worth

For any OTB long distance race, entries should be capped to those who are competent sailors on competitive boats. Ie. 5yrs or more sailing and inside top 15-20 at recent nationals ie. 1 in the last 2yrs.

Purely for safety reasons you dont want someone that struggles in strong breeze at normal club racing competing in a long distance offshore race.

I've seen the old Lake Macquarie Cat Club marathon (round pulba) turn into an a battle for survival, a 40knt southerly blew in. There were a few old boats with inexperienced skippers & crew onboard that struggled. Some of the more experience crews found shelter asap.

As for other equipment a full offshore emergency kit inc. a small first aid kit, 406mHz distress beacon, vhf or uhf (which ever is best, maritime should be able to shed light on this), flares etc.

But all that aside im up for it...

Windrush 14ft offshore = fun...

Yes the safety is paramount, in The Great Race, you must have a shore support crew as part of the deal plus various safety gear/mobile phone etc on board, but mostly the course is close to sheltered land and approximatley 14 power boats as waypoints you have to pass through to ensure no one goes missing.

For those interested the current record is 2hr 57min and 18 sec for the Multi's and 4hr, 7mins 29 sec for the Mono's

Ok - here's a start, THIS WEEKEND: me (Dick Clarke) and two other As are having an informal race on Pittwater this Saturday, on account of PBSC having no racing. Geoff Jack and John Goldsmith are the other two starters at this stage. Geoff and I were thinking of a longish sail, Goldsmith doesn't know that yet but he'll love the idea. It's no Great Race, but its achievable for us.

Any other cats feel free to join us for a loose race from BYRA at Bayview round Lion Island, with a couple of other marks yet to be decided. Maybe Ettalong way, or Patonga or similar. 15kn southerly is forecast, should be good.

We usually meet at BYRA (Bayview Yacht Racing Assocn, Pittwater Rd, Bayview) at 12 noon, plenty of parking. See you there.

FYI few 14ft cat sailors from Toukley have sailed out to sea around Birdie Island from Cabbage Tree Bay.Its is only a short distance but "Norah Head Search and Rescue" can watch you sail around the Island and back from the windows in their club! I asked them if they were interested in running it as a fund raiser for them and they were definitely interested. They said we could even use the BBQ area and club. Nice little beach with boat ramp.Pictures are available to see at Toukleys web site.

http://www.geocities.com/toukleysc/birdieislandtrip2008/index.html

We also did another to Toowoon bay from Cabbage Tree also available at Toukley's web site in photo's.

Yes conditions must be good but if sensible and stay together as a group its fun.

I agree it could turn ugly if long way out to sea on a 30year old bit of fiberglass prone to cracking and leaking. At the very least I would take a smoke flare & mobile phone with the group of other sailors.

Rimo

Archived