Newbie owner getting old cat fixed up

DiddyCat

Hi I am the new owner of Maricat 4.3 (sail No 1260). Certainly not a new boat, but new to me, as is sailing cats.

I have fitted automotive heater hose tiller connector joints, changed all the running rigging, fitted bungy cord inside the tillers so that the rudders retract, tightened the old tramp and have brand new shrouds. Only had it out once so far but went well, lots of fun.

Things still to do, include changing out old dolphin striker wires, getting a little plastic clip to hold the lever that drops the rudder, new tramp and I would like to fit a jib and furler.

Changing the dolphin striker wires. How do I do this? They are attached to a bracket which goes under the front crossbeam, do I cut the old wire and then make up the new wire through the bracket on the boat, or will these brackets be removable if I undo the front crossbeam. Looks like the wires need to be made around the brackets.

I have some trampoline mats (courtesy of people who got their kids bigger ones for Christmas) which I intend to make into a new tramp for the maricat. It is currently the two piece tramp which laces down the centreline. I have seen many with the one piece tramp, how hard is this to fit and get tension on?

The boat currently just has the mainsail, but by the looks of the fittings on the front crossbeam has at some stage carried a jib. I am used to jibs on dinghies so would like to have a jib on the cat. From what I can see there should be two wire cables from each bow (where the shroud connects) 110cm long which join in the centre (and possibly to a furler. I assume the head of the jib goes to the hounds. What I can not see in photos (no I have not had a chance to inspect another Maricat personally) is if the jib attaches to a wire (common on dinghies that the jib goes on the forestay) or if it is hauled through a block on the hounds and then tensioned below.

Being a handyman and the price and availability of parts not always being good, I am happy to make things. So I plan to make my own tramp and jib.

Hi,

speaking from experience, dont try and make a one peice tramp to fit tight. Make a two peice then you have a little room for error and can always tighten it up later on.

Mike Colecliff from Port stephens NSW can help you out with any new parts, and Darcy at Lake Macquarie, NSW does a lot of used parts. (Mike is Humungus on here). Good luck.

Chris

Thanks Darcy. phone no incomplete :confused:

Small jib mk1? Okay makes sense fittings are pretty close together. The jib dimensions I found somewhere on the net were luff 4100mm leech 4000mm and foot 1820mm, I assume that this is then the newer jib.

One piece tramp, I assume then that the front and both sides are bolt ropes, tension can only come from the rear crossmember. It must work, but why doesn't it sag laterally?

post-1857-13776299514189_thumb.jpg

They generally make the one peice tramps via a bias cut. ie. the weave of black chickpea or whatever material being used is cut at a 45deg angle so when it is pulled at the rear it naturally gets skinnier and hence pulling it at the sides also. If it was a 90deg cut you would end up with a whole lot of valleys and ridges forward and aft, not to mention a sloppy tramp. If you go one peice (neater) get it professionnally made,- they go on tight and therefore are pretty hard to get on sometimes, or if you want to save money and make one- make it a two peice. Black chickpea is designed to be UV tollerant and not stretch very much at all even after years.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a new tramp, thanks to Darcy. It looks great, fits well, nice and taught. I put in a new dolphin striker cable, with a turnbuckle to make sure that it is good and tight. Fixed up the trailer too, paint, electric, tyres, bearings, rollers etc looks better than new.

I now have a second hand jib and furler on it’s way in the mail. I have made the bridle lines (having read the specs of minimum 1010mm). But how long should I make the strop for the head of the jib? The jib is the newer Mk2 jib so the fairleads and cleats I have on the front crossmember will not do, I have read somewhere or someone has told me that the new cleats etc should be located approx 70cm back along the top of the hulls. Is this right? or can someone please tell me what the correct measurement is or how to work it out. Do I just drill and screw the new fittings to the hull? or is there a better way of doing this? Is there a recommended cleat (yeah I know the most expensive brand name product blah blah).

Archived