Hobie 18 rigging tips?

madboutcats

G'day we've got a couple of Hobie 18's on our coast at another club the sailors have never known how to set the boat's up. When I visited last week one had soft and one had hard diamond wires could someone give me simple specs on mast rake, rig tightness etc. I'd like to get them more competative and perhaps get them sailing more

Thanks for the info I've printed it out for them, would you know how soft is soft on the diamond wires for instance on the Nacra if you push on the diamond wires you can nearly touch the mast 18 inches from the base in heavy weather? If I tied a rope to the end of the trap and measured to the bridal tang where would the rope be at the rear hatch for proper rake?

hobie 18 mast set up

mast set up on catamarans is very individual as many variables must be considered (crew weight,wind range,sail configuration,etc) so on an older H18 that may have varied length shrouds and forstay (due to replacements) and for inexperienced crew i would say check shrouds are equal length and fittings are identical first then set that mast up straight visually (stand well back and eyeball it) then rake back one or two holes on forstay adjuster (up) and put rig tension evenly both sides with crew (80kg av) on trapese ..................now measure rake with trap and use that as a reference for adjustments

as for diamond tension once again there are variables such as desired mast prebend induced with spreader rake etc.........enough tension to have some effect when mast wants to bend under load is needed so tighten till it is hard to deflect the wire low down with your thumb (but possible)............. make sure mast stays straight too!!!

This worked for me and once again its only a starting point so whatever changes (and effects thereof) you make can be referenced to this

happy sailing!

Archived