Adding a Jib to a Surfcat

Kay

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a Surfcat and am wanting some advice please. BTW I have recent yachting experience and owned a hobie 16 many years ago but have very little knowledge of these 14 footers.

Since the boat I have my eye on's current setup doesn't include a jib I'm concerned about it's tacking ability although I see on websites many are sailed without jibs. I have 2 questions in mind: One is - can anyone give me some tips on tacking a cat with no jib? as I had probs when hiring a 14 footer a while ago.. and the other is how viable and easy is it to add a jib? - I understand the 2 existing front stays would be replaced with one and would attach midway to a line contecting the 2 hulls at the tip (like on my old hobie 16). If I were to add a jib and needed to get a sail maker to stitch one up for me would he know the design?

The boat I have my eye on has a trapeze on each side too (which is one of the main attractions for me). Is it common to have trapeze's on Supercats?

I would greatly appreciate any advice. BTW I live in Lake Macquarie.

Kay

Kay, Your weight and experience are the main considerations to determine if you require a jib. I sail cat rigged (no jib or trapeze) at 95 kg and manage the boat up to 25 kts plus, cruising jibs can be furled in stronger conditions, battened race jibs can't. Windys can be tacked cat rigged but because of their shape they are slightly harder to tack than cat rig Mari/Hobie, ph 43591729 for advice and local windrush contacts (Mannering Park and Toukley)

G'day Kay once you have the new bridal and forestay made you can measure the length of the forestay, take about 8 inches off and that will tell you the maximum length of your jib. You can then see what boats with jibs like Arrows etc have jibs that fit your requirements. There are no end of older jibs to be had for not much money and you can try it out. Tacking a 14 footer is tricky if your too conservative, you need to pull your main sheet on hard and tack firmly while going as fast as you can, stay on the wrong side of the boat as long and far back as possible, once your sail swings accross let about 1ft of mainsheet out then cross. If the hull starts to rise jump accross and slam yourself down on the hull (Thats a roll tack) and that flattening of the hull will squirt you forward. You just need to remember that a hard on mainsail will try to round you up during the tack thereby stalling you but you need it hard on to begin the tack.

• 2 weeks later...

From what madboutcats has advised it'll certainly take some practice to master tacking. As for the trapeze I'm about 70kg so it sounds like I'd get the chance to play on it in the stronger breezes from what you've mentioned. Thanks for your tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Kay, I used to own a cat rigged Hawke Surfcat with fixed rudders. There certainly is a trick to coming about and it all boils down to practise and is very dependant on your body weight. I think madaboutcats has put you on the right track. There is just one thing I would add. Many sailors don't realise that cat rigged cats can actually start going backwards as the wind goes around the mast. In this case it is wise to put the rudders in the opposite position so that the stern backs around, (just as you do with the steering wheel when carrying out a 3 point turn in a car). As soon as the sail pops, move across and start driving fowards with the rudders straight again. You can tell if you're going backwards when in irons by siting somethong on land via the leach of your sail or a shroud.

All of this is not necessary if you're driving well into the turn, as the boat's momentum will get you around. Try and move forward a bit as you turn so that the pre-turn windward hull is not acting as a sail itself and blowing the bows back. A jibe is the last resort if you're heading into trouble and cetainly shouldn't be attempted in heavy conditions if you value your mainsail.

Archived