Catamaran Crusing

topscan

And now for something different, I took my 4.5 for an overnight camping trip over the weekend.

Carried beach wheels and camping gear in a vinyl bag tied to the tramp. Had a great weekend, camping on a beach etc

Spotted turtles, dugongs and I even saw couple of whales half way between Orchard Rocks and Cape Cleveland

Will probably try a longer trip at a later stage.

A couple of things I need to sort out is that the bag on the tramp made it hard to operate jib and spinnaker sheet…

It would be great to find a more portable/lighter method of getting your cat on/off a remote beach single handed than carry a set of standard beach wheels.

Any ideas anyone?

This was my first catamaran camping trip and it shows the versatility of the Nacra 4.5 and that you can do “other things” than going round buoys

Cheers

Chris

nacra45camping.jpg

http://sailing.nqld.net.au/images/nacra45camping.jpg

Having some problems getting the image to work....

[This message has been edited by topscan (edited 16 September 2008).]

Chris,

We need to go for a sail together. I have been out on and off for the last few weeks exploring a few of Maggies bays (and getting intimate with a reef) as well as around the bouys.

My tramp lacing wore out after only 3 months on Sun. I'm thinking off pulling the whole tramp off and refitting it with the lacing at the front to reduce wear and stop the sheets from falling out the gap at the back. While I have it off I'm thinking of getting a row of pockets sewn onto the tramp accross the whole front with zipper openings. I think it would be less clumbersome than the bag and have similar capacity (but not waterproof). I have a 4" dia PVC pipe with screw off ends to replace the Spi pole for a water proof container. Haven't used it much as I am beginning to come to grips with the Spi.

Why not use inflatable fenders as beach rollers? Place them at the bows pull the boat fwd then place them at the front again when they get to the back.

Store the fenders through the inspection port at the back of the hulls giving the cat a few extra bouyancy bags. I have been storing empty 1.25l coke bottles in the hulls in case I contact a reef in a big way. Possibly multiple PET bottles filled to the brim with sea water could work as cheap light beach rollers.

Jon

[This message has been edited by Townsvillecat (edited 16 September 2008).]

Well done Chris.

Instead of having a big round ball in the middle of the boat why not have a long bag from hull to hull.

I haven't had my 4.5 very long but when I had a windrush we used to just drag it up the beach, part gravel, part sand.

Did it for years and it didn't seem to effect it too much.

How about some slides that get strapped to the back of the hulls. Lift the front and pull.

Cheers

Kurt

Thanks all for your tips and comments.

A longer and low profile vinyl bag/tube tied to the tramp make good sense will try to source one.

I like the idea of a bag tied to the stays instead of gear stuffed in the hulls and in tramp pockets because if I would to capsize

I can easy enough untie one end of the bag and therefore be sure its not hindering righting.

The problem with the beach wheels is that they are heavy, surprisingly they where not in the way of sails or ropes. Most of the weight is in the wheels so I may try to find

lighter wheels. Not sure about rolling the boat on fenders.. that may work on wet compact sand, but I need to get the boat above the high tide mark and there is always dry and soft sand leading up to the high tide mark. I would think a fender or roller of small diameter (fit inspection holes) would just sink in the soft sand. Maybe I could find some type of tarp or material that one can slide the boat on… thinking 2 stipes one could just roll up after use. And maybe slides could work if they have larger enough area…

Even if fibreglass is tuff dragging the hulls on sand/gravel would give me nightmares, my 4.5 is to new for that!

Clever idea to store lightweight sealed bottles inside the hull, you would still float after tearing a hole in the hull.

Hopefully work commitments will ease so I can spend more time on the water. Jon are you still sailing on Thursdays?

Toying with the idea of sailing up to the Mission Beach regatta in October from Townsville, there are many nice islands to visit on the way up there, Orpheus, Pelarus, Hinchinbrook, Gould and Family Group isles. Many islands have organised camping spots.

Here are some more photos.

Cheers

Chris

nacra45camp.gif

http://sailing.nqld.net.au/images/nacra45camp.gif

[This message has been edited by topscan (edited 18 September 2008).]

Chris,

I have seen the bloke with the Capercat lookalike (but boat was made in TVL)at Palleranda get across the mud at low tide and then up through soft sand with 6 lengths of 4 inch dia permapine logs about 2 feet long. 3 under each hull, he kept them in his 'eskies'. It looked far easier work than my beach wheels. Wood is too heavy but I think a light weight version would work.

How do you place a slideshow in this forum, by using imageshack or something similar? Your boat looks so fresh and new compared to old number 51. I agree with your reasoning on the detachable bag.

I haven't sailed on Thursdays recently -work has picked up.

[This message has been edited by Townsvillecat (edited 18 September 2008).]

• 1 month later...

Dave,

I do a lot of solo sailing but even with a friend we need something to roll/slide the boat up the beach… to hard to lift after a full days sailing (or maybe I just getting to old…) . No worries you can come along on a “adventure” sail, would be great actually but I think we may have a problem in that I am in Townsville and I am guessing you are in Brisbane...

You also got me started on another topic; we are all sailors, and we should really stick together more than we do. Every second thread on this and other forums seems to end up in argument Hobie Vs Nacras Vs AHPC, a certain model vs. another etc. Beach cat sailors all over seems to be a fragmentised group of dudes that like to get up each other instead of sticking together for the good of beach cat sailing… no wonder cats got kicked out of Olympics. I guess cat sailing are/have been brand dominated (one design) but hopefully the Formula concept (box rule) will take over and as I believe for the good of cat sailing in general.

Another explanation could be that the people with the strongest opinions here on the forums are not necessary the sailors you meet on the water…?

So yes I would happily sail with a Hobie or any other brand.

I did plan to do a 3-4 day sail trip from Townsville to Mission beach in October and sail the regatta at Mission but the weather was not good windy with strong wind warnings etc so I decided not to sail up. Instead I drove up to Mission Beach just for the regatta but even in the somewhat protected water of South Mission Beach it was to viny and I elected not to sail. The rough weather made it interesting to be a spectator though with boats coming to grief in the surf, broken masts and rudders etc etc.

I will try this Townsville to Mission trip next year hopefully weather will be better.

Jon give me a shout when you are on the water again.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I'm missing the Townsville sailing. Have been O/S for last month for work, will get back to Oz in March 09 to take up a position in Canberra. Not looking forward to being confined to a little lake.

Goal is to sail between TVL and Cairns on the 4.5 in the next few years. Hope your still around when it happens.

Jon

Nice cruising adaptation of the Nacra, who needs to spend hundreds of thousands on a big boat then? Hot showers are over-rated anyway. I did similar things on a Stingray some years ago, took my young son away up the Hawkesbury, had a ball.

Response to Chris (Topscan) re fragmentation here - I am "guilty" of having had a dig at other classes (Hobie 16s as I recall) but if you read carefully I think you can tell that mine and most other jibes are done in a light-hearted competitive spirit, certainly not to rip each other apart or make anyone else feel inferior. Far from it - in fact, it would be extremely foolish to try, since pride tends to precede a grand surrender to the forces of gravity.

To compare and criticise is natural, it's a part of the drive that makes us try new things and test ourselves and each other. But let any monohull sailor criticise any multihull and we stick fiercely together.

Dick Clarke / Bad Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Wise words indeed.

Light house is on Cape Cleveland just East of Townsville. Only accessible from sea. Well you could bush walk out there on an extreme low tide, a good 4-5 hours hike after leaving your 4-weel drive. Was constructed in 1879

Cheers

Chris

Archived