Boat Insurance

exhogger

To be a racing member at my club my Maricat 4.0 must be insured. To be insured and because it is over 20 years old the insurance companies I have contacted require it to be surveyed by a licenced surveyor.

My question is to anyone who has had this done, where do I find a licensed surveyor and what would the cost be?

Ross

Hi Ross,

I had a similar problem recently trying to insure my Tornado and I was referred on to Tudor Insurance (www.tudorinsurance.com.au)

Price was extremely competitive (actually no one came close) no survey required and when I had to make a claim they were brilliant to deal with.

Give them a call, I dealt with Megan McKenzie but was initially referred to David (cooper?)

I hope this helps,

Regards

Blake Russell

No company has in the past required a marine survey from me for vessels under $10k, if they insist, take photos of everything and find a Shipwright to give you a hand written condition report. This will usually satisfy most insurance companies for low value vessels. You could ring and ask if that would satisfy them before going to any expense.

try one of the state YA people, I think it's YA NSW that has a third party policy.

my one was $99 pa but I think the yachting nsw one is cheaper than that. mine comes from R&M Insurance Brokers 02 4962 4888.

I reckon that i) you need third party insurance (ie the $10m one) ii) you need cover if you drive into someone's DNA A class cat and chop the bow off but iii) if you break your own boat then a bit of cloth and epoxy and it'll be good as new.

I'm sure there are downsides to this but I've not had to make a claim full stop in nearly ten years of sailing. This type of insurance also means you don't have to split the value insured (usually between hull, sails, rig, trailer etc).

Thanks for your responses guys.

As I have neither the skills nor the equipment to do my own repairs to either rigging or fibreglass I have gone with full comprehensive for the boat and trailer. The folk at Tudor Insurance were happy to take my money and my worries about any mishaps on the water or on the road.

Ross

Nice shoes but black isn't my colour.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got insurance payout. They paid out insured amount for mast $700 but $2k to replace new, Trailer $400 insured but $700 to get fixed and arguing over hull $2k insured but $2.8k to repair. Only allowed $800 although had a quote to repair.

So be really careful about how you allocate the insured amounts. My boat was insured for $3k but only got $1,790 after excess.

But they did pay out and only took 3 weeks. Still arguing over hull.

I have a complete boat.

Tuned and ready to race with all the go fast bits.

Take the payout and keep all the bits as spares

Adams race sails, main (5008) and jib with furler.

New style diagonal cut tramp, RP5 7:1 downhaul, RP5 outhaul, 6:1 mainsheet.

One of the lightest Mark 2 GRP Maricats

2005, 2006 state sloop champion.

Does not have a trailer.

It can be delivered to BB.

$2000.

post-1857-13778265723982_thumb.jpg

I would like to suggest you to Google it and select some good companies and ask for the quotes from them. Then choose the best according to you that which policy is suitable for you. If you find any problem to do this then you can take help of any insurance broker who can help you to choose the right insurance policy for you but for this he might charge some amount from you.

• 2 months later...

Previously I insured with NRMA: $253 for Paper Tiger at $3860 agreed value with $300 excess and 4 month layup

This week I checked for quotes: Tudor Insurance would not cover the boat, as it has carbon-fibre components. Apparently there have been a lot of expensive claims so they now refuse to cover anything with carbon; even if it's just the foils.

This year I am insuring with Nautilus Marine, as referred by Yachting NSW.

It is only $145 / year for comprehensive insurance to value upto $5000, with $100 excess.

http://autocover.nautilusinsurance.com.au/ynsw/covertermsconditions.cfm

When they sent me the paperwork, they even included a free pair of fingerless sailing gloves! Winner

Archived