Moreton Bay Camping

dave202

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sunday is no good for me as I'm heading south to pickup my new 16ft Hobie. Next time perhaps :)

Ah welcome to the wonderfull world of Hobie 16s. You will never look back ! Not the fastest, or most comfortable, or easiest to sail, but there is just something about the H16 that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Dr Snapid, I didn't end up going out that weekend. I had a mixture of no car to tow with, and no crew.

I'm in the midst of getting my trailer re-registered, the Victorian Rego ran out in April, and I now have to get a plate/VIN numbers stamped on to get Qld Rego. but that should be ready to go after this weekend, if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Matt, How did you go getting your Hobie 16? I saw your add for the Kula Cat in Gumtree too. Any takers yet?

Hey Andy,

I'm having alot of fun rigging and playing with the H16 in my front yard. The rigging is alot more complicated than my old KulaCat but is ready to go (I think). Spending loads of time making it very smick so I'm dieing to hit the water for a test run, so far something always comes up on the w/e.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1388[/ATTACH]

Sooo looking ahead next weekend the 18/19 of May has me set if yourself, Dave and others want to come along?

I'll give the boat ramp a miss this time and launch from the bay at the end of Wilson St but meet you in the bay around Coochiemudlo Island. These Hobie sails are bloody hard to miss lol

KulaCat has had some interest and maybe sold this w/e - fingers crossed.

post-49877-13778265964124_thumb.jpg

post-49877-13778265964633_thumb.jpg

Talk about rubbing it in Dave. Sounds like G-K Island hopping will be alot of fun, i'm jealous. Are you taking your H16 with you? Be sure to take some pics to share.

Let me know a weekend that's good for you in coming months and we should tee something up.

Yep love the Hobie sails. I've bought a much newer set which aren't as colourful but still look great!

Unfortunately the H16 isnt coming to GKI with me :(. I will be taking the Tandem Island :D. The H16 is just to much for me to handle solo if a decent breeze kicks in, the TI is much better suited for the camping/cruising application, just not as much of a sailing machine as the 16. I will take plenty of photos.

Will definately sort out a day/weekend sail on the Bay soon after, good to catch up with other Hobie/cat sailors, impromptu race across the bay :cool: Us H16 sailors will be chasing TachingCardia on his 18

Sorry Andy, I just removed my tramp for some re-stitching and not sure when i'll get it back. Can I rain check for perhaps the weekend after? If I do get it back before Saturday i'll give you a text.

Dave when would be the next best w/e for you to join us in the Bay? 3 up Hobie style would be fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, those photos look fantastic. Did you sail from the mainland? Where did you stay?How long did it take to get up there? (YES, i'm sussing it out, I definitely want to go!)

Looks like you had a great time.

Hey guys, yeah was a fantastic journey, I wont hesitate to go again sometime. The road trip from my place (just south of the QLD border) was approx 800km, took around 11 hours including 4 or 5 stops for petrol/food. Would say approx 9.5 hrs from Brissy. Stayed a night at Yeppoon before sailing out, just to recover from the drive. Launched from Rosslyn Bay Marina, relatively safe parking area (car was there when I got back haha) Main base camp was at Humpy Island which has a toilet block + fresh water shower which was convenient after a wet days sailing. The sail out to Humpy was approx 20km, very similar conditions to Moreton Bay actually. Winds were a pretty constant 10-15 knots SE - SW. From Humpy its very easy days sails to the other islands.

Perfect area for beach cat/tris.

As I said, Ill certainly be going back sometime.

LongBeachGKI.png

Long Beach GKI

MonkeyBeachGKI.png

Monkey Beach GKI

HumpyIslandReef.png

Humpy Island Reef

Sunsetovermainland.png

Sunset over GKI

• 1 month later...

I finally had a free Saturday to rig and launch the Hobie 16 which i'm pretty happy with. Still afew odds and ends I need to work out.

It's still cool out on the water but i'm keen as mustard to get out there. Who's keen for another Moreton Bay adventure?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1441[/ATTACH]

post-49877-13778265976592_thumb.jpg

Matt, that is one good looking Hobie 16! I'm up for an adventure! The weather hasn't been too bad recently either. :D I'll be in Sydney next weekend for the footy. So any other weekend is good.

Also please note, the link in post above from testik contains a virus, fortunately my antivirus picked it up. try not to click on it.

Archived