Set up time

Moaiman

Hi Guys,

I bought a 5.2. a year ago. Would you believe my first solo set up [ without experienced help] took 2 1/2 hours . Since then I've got it below 1 1/2 hours but haven't yet cracked the the one hour mark. I'm told a 5.8 can take as little as 45 minutes. Is this accurate?

Cheers Moaiman

G'day Moaiman, your setting up time is definately linked to your packing up. When your packing up if you remove the side stays from the boat you should try to keep them neat and organised by tying them in a way that makes sense to you, for instance I used to tie my sidestays and trap wires to each sides diamond wire so there was no sorting out. Try to pack everything in your sail box in the reverse order you want it out, in exactly the same place and put the boat together in exactly the same way every time. We put our 5.8 up in about 45 minutes no problem but a year ago it took me 3 hours to do because I could only look up or down slowly and couldn't concentrate. That was due to celebrating too much the night before, is that your problem?

G'day Moaiman' date=' your setting up time is definately linked to your packing up. When your packing up if you remove the side stays from the boat you should try to keep them neat and organised by tying them in a way that makes sense to you, for instance I used to tie my sidestays and trap wires to each sides diamond wire so there was no sorting out. Try to pack everything in your sail box in the reverse order you want it out, in exactly the same place and put the boat together in exactly the same way every time. We put our 5.8 up in about 45 minutes no problem but a year ago it took me 3 hours to do because I could only look up or down slowly and couldn't concentrate. That was due to celebrating too much the night before, is that your problem?[/quote']

Thanks for the advice! Yes getting a system is a key. Taking different people each with me also slows things down. Having poor close up eyesight [under 1/2 a metre] makes it hard with the fiddly bits. It's a hour drive to Lake Cootharbah so I take it easy with an ale or two the night before.

Cheers!!

Archived