cobra repairs - tramp and centreboard tape

Hi,

I have recently bought a Cobra and have a couple of repairs to do.

The tramp needs replacing - any suggestions for how to source a good second hand tramp or where to look for a new one? The distance from beam to beam is approx 2100 mm and hull to hull is approx 1350 mm.

Also - the 'centreboard tape' (not sure if that is what it is called) is peeling off. It is the stuff glued to the bottom of the boat around the centreboard slot. I am not sure where to find this, or what it actually is. The centreboards are not 'dagger' style - they are like Tornado boards.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, and happy sailing,

Matthew

Hi Matthew, your chances of a second hand tramp are probably non existent, or if one is available then it probably won't be any better than what you already now have. You'r best bet is to go to a sailmaker with the boat and have him measure it up, you are possibly looking at the $350-400 mark for a new one. In regards to your centreboard case sealing rubber try someone like Clark Rubber or anyone that sells industrial rubber products, get the same thickness as what you have now and specify an "insertion" type rubber as this will have cloth reinforcement and be very strong and tear resistant.

hope this helps you ... cheers

Thanks LC,

The 'tape' that is currently there is not rubber - it is thin, hard, flexible, smooth, white, like a strip of plastic and it looks like it has a fabric backing. Does this matter?

Thanks for your suggestion of Clark Rubber - there is one near me, so I'll check them out on Saturday.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Matthew

Originally posted by Loose Change:

Hi Matthew, your chances of a second hand tramp are probably non existent, or if one is available then it probably won't be any better than what you already now have. You'r best bet is to go to a sailmaker with the boat and have him measure it up, you are possibly looking at the $350-400 mark for a new one. In regards to your centreboard case sealing rubber try someone like Clark Rubber or anyone that sells industrial rubber products, get the same thickness as what you have now and specify an "insertion" type rubber as this will have cloth reinforcement and be very strong and tear resistant.

hope this helps you ... cheers

Hi Matthew, no it doesn't really matter that what you have is a hard type plastic, on my Stingray I had a setup exactly as I described. It's only there as a fairing to help smooth the flow of water around the case slot where the board exits and also for when you are sailing with the boards up.

btw. if you go to Clark Rubber don't forget the glue .... and then read the instructions.

cheers ... Harry

Matthew beware rubber its not as stiff as the plastic and can grip onto the centreboard when you lift it jamming the board neither up or down. I tried it on my Stingray and my 420's with poor results. The plastic is there to seal the hole over wherever your boads aren't and it wont cost you much more for the proper stuff from binks. regards Jeff

Archived