Commencing a Calypso 16 refurb in western Brisbane

Brisso57

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All rigging will be removable Doug so should be easy. Best places to visit up here are Whitworths, Bias Boating, Brisbane Catamaran centre. For your Calypso you could also try Russ and Luke @ RL Sails @ Deception Bay. They are the Calypso parts supplier for Aus.

All rigging will be removable Doug so should be easy. Best places to visit up here are Whitworths, Bias Boating, Brisbane Catamaran centre. For your Calypso you could also try Russ and Luke @ RL Sails @ Deception Bay. They are the Calypso parts supplier for Aus.

Thanks.

"Plan A" was to go to RL sails, but I'll keep the others in mind.

I know Whitworths and BCC, but where are Bias Boating located?

Doug

• 4 months later...

Well the refurb is finally gathering pace and nearing completion. It's at LR Sails at the moment, having a new tramp fitted.  :-)

I want to paint the hull tops with non-skid decking paint next weekend. I have identified Norglass Weatherfast as a suitable coating. I can get it tinted a pale yellow ("cream") from Whitworth's. Can anyone else recommend an alternate product?

Maybe it'll make into the water the weekend following.

Still casting about for a suitable clever name. What about "Boddington's"? ... as the hulls are about the same colour yellow as the can. Let have your suggestions.

Doug

I'd like to get a bracket to fit the spare wheel to the trailer. Does anyone know if I can buy a stub axle welded to a bracket? i.e. so that the bearings will be retained with the wheel?

BTW, Bob Jane Taringa obtained a new spare tyre for me. $75 fitted while I waited. Thanks guys.

Doug

Vic Pt is fantastic for it's location and access to all the other islands in Moreton Bay. Downside is beach launching is hard/impossible as tides are quick and the bay is just mud so I've been launching from the boat ramp.

Would love some suggestions if anybody knows of any sandy beaches between the Wynnum/Manly-Cleveland areas????

Back to the question of launching sites ... Years ago I used to sail a 14A off the beach at Suttons Beach / Margate. Is it still possible to do that there?

Doug

To be honest I haven't sailed off Margate but I have sailed along Margate from Woody Point @ Humpybong Y.C. They have a great site for parking, rigging and launching. The only downside is that on low tide the area becomes quite rocky but I've seen chaps drive right down into the water, low geared 4WD of course. I just use beach wheels myself.

Also I've since moved from Victoria Point to Raby Bay boat ramp @ Cleveland. VMR are there, cement ramps x3 and a small sandy section to the left of the ramps. The bay area this ramp is found at also helps for an easier return as its protected by the high winds. I had a pretty hairy return to the VicPt ramp last run with high winds and idiots using outboards who failed to give way on several occasions. Boy did I give him a verbal bruising! Hahahaha!

How far off getting wet is the boat Doug? We'll have to organise a Nationals :p

SWMBO has decreed it must be next weekend! (tremble) (The reason for this is that we need a "shakedown cruise" before we spend a week on Russell Is leading up to easter.)

I had a MH day today, so I got the second coat of non-skid paint on one hull, and the first coat on the other. Took a steelo soap pad to the mast and the boom. They still look "well-used", but at least somewhat respectable.

I think I'll try the Raby Bay ramp, so kindly recommended by Matt15.

I see that high tide is about 1pm on Saturday. That'll do.  :-) 

Also I've since moved from Victoria Point to Raby Bay boat ramp @ Cleveland. VMR are there, cement ramps x3 and a small sandy section to the left of the ramps. The bay area this ramp is found at also helps for an easier return as its protected by the high winds. I had a pretty hairy return to the VicPt ramp last run with high winds and idiots using outboards who failed to give way on several occasions. Boy did I give him a verbal bruising! Hahahaha!

I see on Google Earth there a nice strip of sand along Thompson St / Thompson Esp at Victoria Pt. Is that accessible to rig and launch cats?

What sail Number are you?

Which sail set? :-). My garden cat came with 2 sets. One with a furling jib - #35.

I'm going to start off using the non-furling jib set #186.

Yellow hulls. Yellow sails.

Further ideas for a new name:

"Hep Cat"

"Katzenjammer"

"Yellow Peril"

Doug

I like Katzenjammer best out of those 3.

When I did my calypso 16 up there was water getting into one of the hulls, not heaps, just a tad and I eventually figured out that it was coming in 2 places. 1, around the storage lids (not the actual lids but the bits the push into) and 2 under the tramp rails. If you haven;t already, be sure to seal these bit up.

I like Katzenjammer best out of those 3.

When I did my calypso 16 up there was water getting into one of the hulls, not heaps, just a tad and I eventually figured out that it was coming in 2 places. 1, around the storage lids (not the actual lids but the bits the push into) and 2 under the tramp rails. If you haven;t already, be sure to seal these bit up.

I have purchased one new hatch & lid, precisely because I have a poor seal that even replacing the o-ring won't fix. I have to drill out the rivets and fit the new hatch, with sealing silicone.

Anyway, that can wait for a bit. It's not a reason the postpone the grand launching this weekend. :-)

Doug

Doug I personally would avoid sailing or trying to launch any further south from Victoria Point but I see your staying @ Russell Island so I can suggest the following:

Anywhere south from Victoria Point is little sand and lots of mud. This is especially evident on low tides but high tides you would be fine for a one way trip or very short adventure. You can see on the satellite image all the gray areas which are shallow and very muddy.

So I would have alook at:

Torquay Road, Redland Bay (this like the bays at VicPt is only accessible at high tide)

or

Redland Bay marina.

Doug I personally would avoid sailing or trying to launch any further south from Victoria Point but I see your staying @ Russell Island so I can suggest the following:

Anywhere south from Victoria Point is little sand and lots of mud. This is especially evident on low tides but high tides you would be fine for a one way trip or very short adventure. You can see on the satellite image all the gray areas which are shallow and very muddy.

So I would have alook at:

Torquay Road, Redland Bay (this like the bays at VicPt is only accessible at high tide)

or

Redland Bay marina.

Thanks Matt. That's all good info.

IDEA: If you recall that users can add location photos ("Panaramio"?) to Google Earth, it'd be good & useful if cat sailors added photos of boat ramps and rigging/launching areas. I'll try to do that myself in future.

Doug

Archived