Commencing a Calypso 16 refurb in western Brisbane

Brisso57

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug your not sailing a Hobie but your welcome to join the Hobie group I started for sailing in and around SEQ. Our next big trip will be on the 30th of March launching from Raby Bay ramp and heading over to the Little Ship Club on North Stradbroke Island for lunch. Weather dependant of course!

Well the Grand (Re)launching didn't eventuate, owing to family/school priorities. Next weekend now.

Did manage to get a few things done, though:

Patched 3 small holes in the main with sail tape.

Replaced the trailer hitch with a snap-on type.

Stuck on some replacement tell-tales.

Put reflective tape patches on the top and the base of the mask for better visibility when towing after dark. Red reflector glued to rear of sail box also.

Gaffer-taped the cover tarp - after my hounds decided to chew a hole in it! (&$/-.@!!)

Doug

What a shame! Something more to look forward too. I took my rudder cams apart this week and noticed that the metal cylinders that lock them into place were really bent. I made some new ones by sawing some stainless bits to size and the rudders go up and down much better now. Might be something to check if you haven't yet. Hope we get more photos soon!

• 2 weeks later...

(Re-)launched on Sunday at Lake Samsonvale! Yay! :-)

Floats! No water in either hull after putting it back on to the trailer. Phew! :-)

Now, the bad news:

1. As my son trod on the rear of the tramp (when raising the mast) the rear port side tramp track moulding pulled away from the hull - the rear-most 1/2 dozen or so rivets.

2. As the wind was light, we launched regardless of the above. We slowly made our way out to the centre of the lake when "Ping!", a tramp (rope) shackle pulled through the rear spar and landed on the tramp by my foot.

That was enough, so we sailed back to shore and packed up.

I have since spoken to Russ at LR Sails about how to repair the above, and I think I will carry that story in a new thread on the Calypso sub-forum, as it may interest Calypso owners.

cheers

Doug

PS The location and facilities at Lake Samsonvale Water Sports Association are first class. We were there as guests for the day.

Shame about the brakes but great to have happened on a calm day on a dam than in the middle of Moreton Bay around swells. Sounds like a simular repair I made to my KulaCat when the tracks ripped away from the hulls. The track is easily bought from bunnings i.e. caravan annex track. My hulls were fine so it was more the rivets giving way. I replaced them all with monel ones and added afew extra rivets to the track.

I've visited Lake Samsonvale before and agree the facilities are great. Downside is that the club is very closed off with always having the gate locked even during racing. No one is able to visit or inspect the grounds without having prior permission. You just need to be willing to part with $$$$ for membership and a key.

I wouldn't recommend a concertina rivet gun unless you are good at holding things real steady, I've found the best rivet gun for sailing is the long arm ones about 15 inches long like Robbie listed, they are a two hand job but you can push the rivet hard into the hole before snapping it so you get a great grip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived