Lots of Advice Required

Ballyholme

Hi All,

I'm new to the country and also the idea of Cat Sailing. Looking for some advice on what to sail and where to sail out of. I'm based in Newcastle so I believe both Port Hunter (Stockton) and Speers Point have Cat fleets, is there more life in one over the other, especially for a beginner? The decision of location will likely drive the type of Cat I go for (along with budget) once I have an opportunity to talk with some more experienced sailors!

All suggestions very greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas.

Hi Ballyholme

I think as a beginner your better of at either Speers Point or Mannering Park (bottom of the lake) both have good cat fleets with Mannering Park having more 14' cats, they both sail saturdays. I would suggest either a Windrush or Maricat as a starter boat, both are readily available from around $500-$1500 depending on age and condition.

cheers Mark

come down to Mannering Park - next Saturday is 5th Jan (Grace St, Mannering Park). You'll find a few friendly bods there and a few 14's some Taipans some Nacra 5.8's and sometimes an A class.

You'll also come across Darcy who'll fix you up with a Maricat for not too much coin (and will help you maintain it over it's life). You can't miss him - big bugger, white beard and very noisy!

Ballyholme, come on down, Mannering Park saturdays, (I can get you on a couple of different cats there) or Toukley sundays (mixed fleet 14s and 18s) Speers point is a great club but mostly big cats, haven't sailed at Stocton for ages so can't comment, another option is Grahamstown dam (not sure when they sail), give me a call 43591729.

Mozzie, Jimbo & Darcy

Thanks for all the info, I'll take a run down to Mannering Park as a first stop. Do you know if there is any sailing on the 29th or is it off until the 5th Jan? Darcy I'll give you ca call over the next couple of days if that suits?

Thanks again all,

Cheers

Piers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived