Cats with odd lengths

adamhu1975

Has any one ever wondered why 15', 17', or 19' Classes have never fired like 14',16' and 18' Classes have?

I cant name a successfull odd foot classes that have stuck it out long term Prindle 15, Alfa Omegas and Mari 4.5 come to mind.

How ever 14s did Windrush, Paper Tigers, Mari 4.3 and Hobies all fired.

17s Nacra 5.2 Hobie 17 inter 17s never fired

19s only good one I can think of is a Nacra 5.8.

Any body have thoughts? is it purley marketing?

I think it has something to do with the first really successful worldwide design being the Hobie 14... the plastic cat revolution started with the brilliant marketing of that boat... and that the next logical progression was to a 16 (for 2-up sailing)... from there it's logical to do increments of 2 feet...

Pity about the Alpha Omega, and Prindle 15 - both good designs, but the P15 was just too 'difficult' for the novice sailor to handle (having owned one) - and too heavy to manhandle easily, (actually wider than the 16) – and I suspect the AO was a little too 'bustable' and daunting for the mass market - unlike the rock-solid Windrush 14, Maricat 4.3 and Hobie 14... all of which are very user-friendly boats. Of course the Hobie 14 has had its day - but the Windrush and Maricat are struggling on with the occasional updates and hull-weight reductions keeping them alive...

The Prindle 19 was always reviewed as a very good boat, but not sure what happened to the Prindle brand... maybe sum1 else has the story...?

Can't comment too much on Nacra - they just seem to throw every variation at the market and then see what 'sticks' – except to say the Nacra 430 is no real step forward for 14ft cats - too heavy and too much of a compromise... with the beam too far forward to allow a larger weight-bearing platform (larger trampoline)... at least that's the consensus so far...

I'm sure I'll get crucified for saying that... but I aint the only one with this observation... :p

I think a good 15ft 1 or 2-man cat has yet to be designed...

http://www.hobieclass.com/?Page=9559

Here are the details of the next Hobie 14 World Titles.

Quite happy to take on any other production 14s in the conditions the Hobie 14 was designed for, off a surf beach in 15 knots plus of breeze. You will of course be responsible for getting yourself back to shore!

And yes you can still buy a new one! Remember this is a truly global class.

NOt bad for a boat thats had its day!

http://www.hobieclass.com/?Page=9559

Here are the details of the next Hobie 14 World Titles.

Quite happy to take on any other production 14s in the conditions the Hobie 14 was designed for, off a surf beach in 15 knots plus of breeze. You will of course be responsible for getting yourself back to shore!

And yes you can still buy a new one! Remember this is a truly global class.

NOt bad for a boat thats had its day!

aye!! well put.

Where in Aus can you buy a new Hobie 14? when was the last time somebody bought a new one? when was the last national or state c/ships for H14? They are still a good boat as Pete Breadon proved at the Manno 14' cat regatta a few years back but we never get enough to even have their own class (4 boats)

I to have Owned a P15 some 17 odd years and I recon I was lucky to land a successfull tack more then once per windward leg but it was my first cat and I was only 18 years old at the time who knows what the future will hold the possibilities are endless.

I love cat sailing I love how it has evolved and I just wish the rest of the sailing community appreciated it.

Has never heard of a Dragoon B4, Thanks Andrew for the Info.

Kinda reminds me of may old H18 but in mini I wish them all the success if the can hit the Young sailors instead of dull boats for kids like Oppies Int cadets etc keep them interested.

I did my apprenticeship In a mirror back in the day and sore the light at about 16 years old and started crewing on a N5.0

HI Darcy

Last I heard they are still being built in France. You order them through your Hobie Dealer like a Wildcat. A new 16 would probably be cheaper! Parts are still fully supported through the dealer network. THere are also considerable numbers of 2nd hand ones around and second hand parts.

14s are invited to every Hobie Nationals and state championships. The last time any turned up was about 4/5 years ago at the George's River Nationals on Botany Bay. Sam Wood currently has the trophy! Though I believe some may have sailed in state championships other than in NSW recently. Globally there are still active fleets particularily in the Americas and Europe. Unfortunately I suppose people don't come because they think no one else will be there? I am guessing on that one, but building fleet numbers never seems to be that easy! A serious problem is incorrect information and negative comments made about classes, boats and people. We currently have 3 sailing at Palm Beach Sailing Club, and of course would welcome anyone wanting to sail any class to come and join us!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andy,

sorry mate, I didn't mean to be derogatory about the Hobie 14 - brilliant boat (for it's time) - and I'm sure the day will come when the Windrush 14 and Maricat 4.3 will be too old to keep pace with newer designs - my comment was based on the fact you can't get a new one made here... at least that was my understanding...

I know that Windrush tries damn hard to keep the 14 fresh - the new square-top sail is a good example - and I guess the Windrush 14 design was 'international' too at one point – made as the Trac 14 in America for a while...

Anyway, I actually really do appreciate the brilliance of the Hobie 14 design - we couldn't beat them at all when the Windrush 14 came out - coz the Windys were being built too heavy - and the H14 sailors by that time had worked out how to make their boats 'smoke' all the rest...

I'm sure a good H14 skipper could still keep pace with the new boats - pity we don't see more of them - and they're so 'localised' at Palm Beach...

BTW, of course we all have our 'bias' towards a particular class - a lot depends on which boat sum1 starts with, and the camaraderie within the class, so it's hard to be objective - I guess we can simply point to the good and bad design features of each class and try to 'evolve' the sport from there...

IMHO the Hobie 14 was a ground-breaker; likewise the Windrush 14 has persisted as it had some very innovative features when released, and is probably the easiest of the classes to get into...

Maricat 4.3? Just a much friendlier/nicer H14... what do others think?

:)

Archived