Calypso 16 Boom vang

For some reason my 16 doesn't have a boom vang and i want to put one on. I'm not sure where the best place for it to join onto the boom is. i have hears many things eg 45 degree angle, 1/3rd of the way along the boom etc but i don't know which is right.

The boom it pretty low on the calypso 16 mast so if the vang was at 45 degrees it would only span about 30cm along the boom which doesn't seem enough.

Suggestions?

I thought that 45 deg is pretty much the "ideal" at a 1/4-1/3 along but if you can't do 45 deg at that point then maybe up the ratio of your vang- eg 4:1 to 6:1 for more purchase to compensate for the shallower angle. Some may question the need for a vang at all but I don't know the Calypso. Vangless on my Hobie but use an 8:1 on my Hartley 18 [monohull] and works well at what I guess is about 35 degrees at 1/4 of the boom.

I've just taken the vang off my calypso 14 and converted it into a downhaul or cunningham as Darcy advised you don't need one with a full width traveller. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but the sail looks a lot better:

From this:

WP_000135.jpg

to this:

WP_000150_zps7f1c9767.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived