Transom Repairs Hobie 14

dickd

Purchased Hobie 14 that has had a transom repair done that has just failed after 2 sails (so not good job by previous owner)

The transom has a stainless steel plate on the outside possibly for strength i am to assume'

In my reading for repairs to transom there is a mention of a aluminum plate on the inside of the transom but i can not find any official notification of this, can any one throw some light on this

I have enclosed three photos one of inside my damaged hull one of the plate and the outside damage.

Will i need a plate inside ?

I plan to Fiberglass a layer of sheet inside then the same outside possibly two layers inside to build strength

Ideas welcomed

Cheers Dick

Use the stainless plate as a template to make a similar, but smaller plate for inside, it will need to fit through the hole you cut in the rear deck to gain access, I assume there is all ready a hatch there to allow your photos. Use epoxy for the repair, it will stick to anything, will be stronger, and you can get a greater working time slow mix,

If you use fibreglass mat or chopped strand then make sure that the binding material is compatible with epoxy, there are some that are not which means that they don't wet out properly.

One of our local fibreglassers (Jimmy Buckland, Charmhaven) supplied me with some mat that has three or four layers all running in different angles so pretty much one piece does the lot and it does wet out really well with epoxy. He also sold me some other mat that you lay over the finished repair and can then take off, it makes the repair quite even. I'll remember it's name at some unlikely moment!

I have some 15mm Marine Ply that i and am thinking of cutting out to the size of the template and to cut out the whole back area for it to fit in too.

I was thinking then to use over size sheet of fibreglass , soaked and to insert it in to the hull to form the back transom adding additional fiberglass via the inspection whole then move to the outside with another sheet to round off the rear of the transom area

Yes i was going to soak it in epoxy .. you would you not use a sheet of ply ? why not as i have read that using ply gives it some flexibility verses just glass or glass and metal plate (I will also use a aluminum 1/4 plate for the screw/bolts for the rudders to go thru inside the transom)

Also the ply would be sandwiched in glass

Remember now, peel ply. Also looked at the mat and it's two layers of mat with the weave at 90degrees. I've just repaired a dent with it, bogged in the epoxy to soak into the ding (after sanding the gel coat off) then bogged the mat with epoxy and squished it to fit into the dent. Then put a bit of peel ply, then (because its on the outside) I put wrapping tape over back to front - the brown stuff doesn't stick and when you put a layer right way around then you can rub it down so its nice and smooth. When you pull the peel ply off it leaves a rough surface that you could (if you so wished) fill and fair.

The ply will be ok BUT if you drill holes in it then water can get in and it'll go rotten. You want it to be strong enough to survive your use but it's not like you're doing it to race or anything. If you do a decent epoxy job I'd think that the ply isn't needed, The alum will corrode too but I think I'd sika it to the outside of the repair. Maricats have the alum plate which (over the 30 years or so that they've been around) expands and means that the transom(s) need fixing.

I'd be inclined to do what Darcy suggests, he's probably done more transome repairs than you or I have had hot dinners!

Archived