In search for a used jib for 4.3m maricat + some advice

davemk

Hi all,

I've recently come into possession of a 14ft maricat - I haven't got the boat on the water yet but excited at the thought of setting sail. And learning to sail... I live in Tonga at the moment where the maricat will suit scooting around the the shallow coral reef islands.

I've been in Melbourne for a couple of weeks and have found most of the missing parts, including tiller bar and extension. Now I'm having trouble finding a jib and also some cheap wheels that I can fit to the hulls and pull it to the local boat ramp.

Does anyone have an old jib that they're willing to part with? Or, would a jib from another small cat work, say a Hobie 14?

Also, has anyone got a home made trailer/trolley and can send me some tips? I live about 100m down the road from a boat ramp, so only need something simple. I was thinking about fitting two small trolleys to the hulls and pulling it with the front beam.

Lastly, I got some aluminum pieces that I will use for tiller crossbar. However, I'm not sure what the exact length should be. Is there a specifications sheet available somewhere? I'd like to get it ready to fit before leaving Melbourne as tools are sometimes hard to come by in Tonga.

Many thanks,

David

Hi Dave, for a trolley to get you down do the beach, what I did was two wheelbarrow wheels from Mitre 10, $25 each and steel rod. I used stainless but that is only because there was some lying around at work. I was going to use 40mm galvanised water pipe and weld 16mm bolts to it to fit the wheel on. Easy to make and I will post a photo when I get home.

Archived