Beach rollers wanted

EVERYONE is looking for a set of beach rollers for their catamaran! I've been looking for about 6 months and haven't found any yet (though I'm in Adelaide where the Catamaran scene isn't exactly booming). There are 2 sets on gumtree in Melbourne at the moment for $400 and $100. Last week i was looking at some in Bendigo but freight from there to Adelaide would have been $200-250.

Word on the street is that the inflatable 'airplane wheel' ones are the preference but I'm sure plastic ones are all fine too.

Personally, I think i'm at the stage where I am just going to buy a length of aluminium, some plastic drums and expanding foam to make my own.

GOOD LUCK!

Well there's a bit of variation in the price of new ones. I think the yellow ones from Briscat centre and nearly $800, The Easy-Roller ones on gumtree are about $550 new (I think) and Calypso makes (or used to make) very good Roll-a-Cat ones for $440 new.

Norman Jones, who is almost like the resident parts man has some of the yellow ones for sale in Maroochydore at the moment for $250, extremely good deal if you can get them to you

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maroochydore/sail-boats/beach-wheels-for-a-catamaran/1010298551

Where are you at oobie?

Yeah the wheels I bought from Brett were about 600 bucks. Brilliant buy though, they are the best thing i've bought yet. Besides the sloopersloop Trap system. A bit pricey if your boat only costs a grand though. Hopefully its one of those once or twice in a lifetime buy. These pneumatic wheels are great for sand, grass and pavement. The yellow wheels are a bit rough when you have to track your boat across a carpark to get to the water. If you get a bigger boat in the future they can be adjusted to fit (with a new axle). I use them to cart my Windy around, Brett says they could hold a Tornado if I wanted.

Cheers

Gazereth

Ok, looks like I stirred up a bit of action. I'm in Melbourne Robbie. How do you guys rate the various wheels for performance on the sand. I'm getting old and don't want to exert myself any more than I have to.

- Rubber/pneumatic

- Orange wheels (easy roller)

- Yellow wheels

Any other considerations between wheel types eg. resistance to punctures?

Madaboutcats, keen to bid on your wheels but I fear that transport to melbourne will put me at a disadvantage to Robbie. Can you post some pics of your wheel sets?

I have a set of rollers with my boat but the wheels are the slimmer, rubber type more suitable for hard surfaces, dirt or grass. They can go on the sand, just not as we'll as proper beach wheels. Anyone interested in them?

Haha' date=' I would feel bad buying beach rollers off you because you've previously told me you don't want to sell any of yours. I'm gonna just throw $200-250 out there...yes, i realise that's probably a bit stingy...so it how much us uni students get paid :)[/quote']

lol, I'd love to delete your post and put my own bid in ;)

As you've got a 16ft you need them more than I do. :)

I have the parts to make up a set of beach wheels in Adelaide. I have the tube with some plastic wheels with tyres fitted that was off a set for a Taipan 4.9 and I have 2 "as new" cradles that are off a set of the cat rollers from Bris cat centre. The wheels are wheel barrow type wheels so OK on the beach but not as good as the big aeroplane wheels. $250.

Robbieandrew you can buy the yellow solid wheel rollers for $150 if come sail with us at least one day at Milang, Meningie or Rivoli Bay. If you come to Kingston SE and sail the drain to drain race this Saturday you can pick them up then, I'll even reset the cradles for your boat, ideal course for you, it's on the ocean but no swell as theres a reef 10km out, no rocks just 140km of sand, you can pull up anywhere on the beach if you have a problem no surf etc

WOW - What an offer! Trouble is I'm away for the next few weekends doing some field work for my PhD! Looks like you race at Milang on the 3rd Sunday of every month? Hopefully I'll be able to make it on April 21st That's probably most realistic for me to get to and from in a day and It would be great to get into a bit of racing on a semi regular basis...is there a site or anything with class rules or anything? Registration? Or is it a bit more casual than that?

• 3 months later...

Archived