My Caper Cat 14 and trailer restoration

Hi all,

Here is some info about a dilapidated Caper Cat 14 I was given by a mate of a mate. It had spent 20 years under a tree and was in poor nick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1206[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1208[/ATTACH]

After giving up on polishes, a scourer was used to get the worst of the black off, then sandpaper! New tramp made by Andrew Landenberger One Design, then a few bits and bobs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1207[/ATTACH]

This is the first sail!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1210[/ATTACH]

I also needed to modify the trailer so it could store my sailing gear. Then I realised that I cant tow my normal trailer if we take the boat camping. So i wanted the caper's trailer to hold my camping gear as well. I drew up a design and set about modding the trailer.

Raised the mudguards so larger wheels could fit. This was my first time welding, ever!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1209[/ATTACH]

Decided to get expert help, paid someone to make the frame I designed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1211[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1212[/ATTACH]

Sides are sheetmetal but I made the lids myself from aluminium using 25mm frames with plastic joiners, and riveted it all together. Bends were made with the "Put it on uneven ground and jump on it till it looks right" method. That's a real method... The curve in the lids stops the metal from banging as you hit bumps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1213[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1214[/ATTACH]

Bought some rubber seals from ebay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1216[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1217[/ATTACH]

The trailer has 2 cubic metres of storage space. With 4 kids, we completely filled it, as well as the space in the boat hulls when we went to copeton dam for 4 days...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1218[/ATTACH]

I have sailed it a few times now and have set up the trapeze and roller rurler (rf76) for the next sail, but dammit, it keeps flooding!

This is all set up to tow it to copeton dam. This was also the first big trip for us in our new 'space shuttle'. The trailer towed a MILLION times better than before. It is stiff and strong, before the boat would rock back and forth as the trailer flexed, not anymore. I estimate we were right at the 500kg limit of the trailer (at least) and I wish I registered it with a higher load rating...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1219[/ATTACH]

post-82973-13778265863486_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1302[/ATTACH]

Bit more vinyl

New hinged step fitted and made a new dolphin striker centrepin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1303[/ATTACH]

The old caper cat 14 stickers were ruined. I stuck one of my company's stickers over the top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1304[/ATTACH]

post-82973-13778265945138_thumb.jpg

post-82973-13778265945667_thumb.jpg

post-82973-13778265945946_thumb.jpg

post-82973-1377826594622_thumb.jpg

Beautiful boat Doc. Looks like you've got some time on your hands, as well as some expertise. Looking good.

Gazereth

Thanks mate!

My own business and 4 kids - time on my hands is something I have NONE of! But I seem to live by the motto "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" so over the last year or so since I got this boat i've used every chance I can get, which probably adds up to only about 15 hours or so on the boat and about the same on the trailer but still... it has come a very long way... I have spent less than that time on the water in fact!

So I finally got to rig my boat. The wind saw me doing it and pissed off. But at least I got to try rigging on my own with the new hinged step and the trapeze and the roller furler and my new silver livery...

Roller furler = fail, I need to mod my jib. Not a big deal.

Hinged step = fail, yes easy to rig but the mast cannot rotate because the base sits so deep in the step that it cannot rotate. I think moulding a 2c piece into the socket will give enough clearance.

Trapeze = Rigged it fine and figured out the shock cord but not enough wind to test it. I hope it will hold my weight, it's as old as the boat but then so are the shrouds

Silver livery = looks spesh, cant wait to do the name stickers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1347[/ATTACH]

post-82973-13778265955692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey doc...is there any trick to undoing the bolts that hold the hulls to the beams?? some appear stuck and won;t undo even with an impact driver....advice appreciated since I have four capercats to restore...john from Sale

John,

I did not separate my hulls from the beams mate. So I don't know, sorry. I broke my dolphin striker trying to undo the bolt (with an impact wrench, KCI easywrench) so I can tell you that when these bolts are stuck, they are stuck!

Are you sure you need to separate the hulls from the beams at all? I decided I didn't.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Tried sailing the boat in 20+ knot breeze when the mast would not rotate. Waste of time. Boat would not go, main was backwinding and misbehaving and in the end we just capsized.

Some modding necessary for the hinged step to work. The coin stops the mast base from going so deep into the hole. Also had to do a fair bit of grinding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1430[/ATTACH]

Hopefully it will work better next time...

The boat name stickers look bigger than I expected, might have to get them redone a little smaller?

post-82973-13778265974656_thumb.jpg

post-82973-13778265974843_thumb.jpg

Decals look fine and certainly add character to your masterpiece. I like them a lot.

Nice idea with the coin to help the mast rotate. In time this might wear your mast base casting down thou. Also if the mast does sit deep enough you should try cutting a round piece of flexible plastic simular to the Hobie one. I think they call it a mast pivot bearing and only a couple of dollars to buy.

http://www.sailingscene.com.au/index.php/online-store/product-categories/product/show/1070-hobie-teflon-mast-disc-pk-3-/category_pathway-59

Looking forward to seeing your boat when you join us for a Moreton Bay run.

My Calypso 16 also is missing the mast rotating disc thing' date=' I had thought about using a coin but agree that it stops the mast going deep enough. Do you have an idea for a better alternative?[/quote']

I think it is still deep enough with the coin there, especially once the coin deforms into the hole. The problem was, without the coin, it went so deep that the mast hinge fouled and it could not rotate. Even with the coin it still does that, until I took to it with the grinder. I'm hoping now that I have taken enough off that it will rotate properly once rigged.

Decals look fine and certainly add character to your masterpiece. I like them a lot.

Nice idea with the coin to help the mast rotate. In time this might wear your mast base casting down thou. Also if the mast does sit deep enough you should try cutting a round piece of flexible plastic simular to the Hobie one. I think they call it a mast pivot bearing and only a couple of dollars to buy.

http://www.sailingscene.com.au/index.php/online-store/product-categories/product/show/1070-hobie-teflon-mast-disc-pk-3-/category_pathway-59

Looking forward to seeing your boat when you join us for a Moreton Bay run.

Thanks mate! I'm thinking about maybe getting them redone but in mirrored vinyl. Then placing them over the top of the exiting letters but offset a little so the white forms a border down one side and bottom? I think it might look interesting

Thanks for pointing me towards that hobie disc - it helps to know what other boats use

And I cannot wait for a moreton bay run - it looks like my band might be disbanding in september so hopefully i'll have more time to sail after that. I definitely want the boat sorted before I drag it all that way - i would hate to get there and find problems! Last sail was a disaster! Although, to look on the bright side, at least I have now successfully righted the boat (with adult crew)

Archived