Tacking when its windy...Arrrgh!

elscotto

Over the weekend up here in Mackay we had some pretty strong wind, 15kt, gusts to 20kt or so, so I drag the 4.0 out and have a blast. The boat went quite well, felt like I was going to get airborne over some of the bigger swells, managed to scare myself quite a few times on one hull, very ecxiting and fun sail. However I found that all of a sudden I could not tack. In the lighter winds I had started getting pretty good at turning it around, (I have been on the water for about 10 hours every weekend since I finished fixing her up) not getting stuck in irons very much at all, but once the wind hits about 15 I just cannot get it all the way around. I even have trouble reversing onto the new tack.

Now it may be that my rudders are washing too much speed off in the turns, they really are not very good when the boat is going fast (home made). I push the tiller and they make a whoosh noise till the boat slows enough for them to turn it but I don't know if that is normal for a cat to have trouble turning when going fast. I know the solution to that is buying new rudders but my timber ones grew on trees, new ones don't.

Anyway my question is are maricats harder to tack in a stronger breeze?

Tacking any cat is more tricky in stronger winds. There are things you can do to improve the situation:

- rudder profile. It sounds like your foils are stalling, suggesting the leading edge is too blunt and the sides too flat. The NACA010 profile is great. Scale up this image to your foils width & thickness, (eg: Photoshop, image size) make a template, and shape them to suit. An angle grinder with sanding head makes short work of it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1225[/ATTACH]

Home-made foils can succeed if shaped from hardwood, just don't leave them in the sun or they'll warp. Better still shape from a laminate of cedar & maple, then set 2 layers of fibreglass over it with polyester resin. Better still, make a buck, crack moulds off it and cast yourself some carbon-fibre foam-filled glory. Of course, after that effort and expense you'll realise why the pros charge so much for them.

- body position is an easier thing to fix. Stay forward going in to a tack, and sheet in hard: this helps the boat round up. As you duck the boom, go back and stay near the rear beam. Steer well past close-hauled, drop the traveller, and get it moving. Once you're accelerating and got some steering back, then pull the traveller back up a bit, sheet in hard and, lastly, move yourself forwards again.

- if the boat stalls mid-tack, recognise it immediately, hold the sail out to make the boat go backwards. Reverse the steering and tack using a 3-point turn.

- tie a bit of string from the middle of the rear beam to the middle of your rudder cross-bar. The concept is to limit how far you can push the rudders over, which may help stop them stalling as you go into a tack. Once you're reversing, the string can also stop them from getting slammed against the gunwales and snapping off.

post-5814-13778265865629_thumb.jpg

Welcome to centreboardless cat sailing.

I've been sailing these cats for about 5 seasons now and STILL have trouble.

Google Hobie University, there's a pdf that describes the Hobie Roll Tack, read it. Also read the bits about tacking and going into irons, they are useful background.

We talked with Mick Colecliffe the other day and he simply didn't know what our problem was, I put this down to his boat being a 'foamy' (ie floats higher) and him sailing sloop rig (use the jib to pull the boat around)

I try to determine that the conditions are too strong to tack normally so when this happens I try to grab the boom as I go head to wind and effectively lever the boat around, get it to spin on its axis so that it's then pointing in the right direction.

If you push your rudders down too hard and too fast then yes (even with the manufactured 4.3 rudders) you basically put the brakes on - and get a big gurgling noise from the back. If possible turn a bit slower and move forward to allow the sterns to lift and go over the water rather than into it.

So, my choreography (when it works) is i) traveller centred ii) point up but still going fast ii) move forward iii) initiate turn iv) hand on boom v) let tension off the main as soon as you feel the boat feathering into the wind - about a metre in higher winds vi) push rudders all the way now (because you're going slower they will work as rudders not brakes) now move your weight to the back beam vii) pull the boom over hard, release the main so that you can twist the boat right into a close reaching position viii) watch the stern, as soon as the boat starts reversing then reverse the rudders ix) as soon as you feel (good word that feel!!) the boat is right CENTRE THE RUDDERS (if you try to go forward with the rudders not at zero you'll stuff the tack x) pull the main in and get forward motion. Notice that I've not said anything about moving over to the new windward side, that's because you're still on the leeward side (scary but effective). NOW move to the windward side, sheet on harder and get going again. Traveller is usually about at the foot straps for heavier weather.

To tack in lighter stuff do the same but you shouldn't need to lever the boom over. Getting this right is quite exquisite because the boat just kicks forward, flow goes over the rudders and you're off.

In waves timing is also important because they'll stop you dead (requiring the boom/twist method earlier).

If you weigh a bit the just sit at the back, new leeward side and the boat will dig in the rear leeward side and the wind will blow the front around.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know that it's not entirely my fault. It sounds about right re. the rudder profile, too blunt and flat. I will make some new ones I think, the ones I have were a bit of a rush job to get onto the water. Can somebody get a measurement of the length and breadth of the rudder? The shape and width I can work out but the other two dimensions are hard to judge on a picture.

I have only been sailing for a few months but am absolutely loving it. Missus thinks I have gone nuts with the amount of time I am spending on the water. :D

Cheers all.

• 1 month later...

Well I finished the new rudders last week. 12mm ply wrapped in fibreglass. Got a decent profile using that template and gave them a test run last sat. Conditions were perfect, 15 - 18knots. Boat felt great from the get go as I heased out on a reach, more responsive and alot less wash from the rudders. Flying along and thought the sail looked a little loose, must have forgotten to tighten the downhaul, lean over to give it a tug and 4/5th's of the sail comes down the mast. Halyard still way up the top. Bugger, anyway I never got a single tack in so I don't know how much better the new rudders will turn.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1353[/ATTACH]

post-41744-1377826595719_thumb.jpg

Well I sort of fixed the sail, it is about a foot shorter now and went out again last week. Tacking did work much better, still missed more than I got but I am happy with the new rudders. Sail is rs though. If anyone know of a cheap sail let me know. Going out again this weekend, should be good ad there is not much left to break on the boat. Good times.:cool:

Guest BarlBeendurne

Tube Borrow Winner Slide Outdoors Shallow Initial Reason Fridge Lead Pedestrian Search Sale Graph Bus Prison Happy Trip Dish Laboratory Hero Waiting II Pot Island Personality Necessary Sleep Hairdresser Account Work Home Hollow Chew Bad Way Indicate Leaf Fold Sink I Justify Cup Bacteria Poke fun at Tap I Yard Middle Danger Nodule Ceiling Twisted Produce Counteract Beautiful Person Cooperation Promotion Song Pound III Page Expression Airport Thumb I Climbing Wild Studio Parliament Baby North Connection With the exception of Risk Cook Unable Late Continue Science In Memory Important String Narrow Leg Adjust Answer Flavour Enthusiastic Sit Table Entrance Adjust Bad Progress Along Title Expenditure Retirement Gentleman Pole Continue Sorry Staff Murder Hand Transition Camp Building Dad Core Place Governor Step Weak In return, Management Responsibility Ill Funny Fall Towel Start Branch Under Prevent Slick Spread II Birth Finger Household II Navy Paint Snow Signal Businesswoman Fix Attack Exactly Honour Relative Line II Exaggerated Analyse Leading Experiment Study Mass Driving Vegetable Option Score I Case Guest Nervous Make-up I Pub Thief Root Stroke Frightened Offender Guide Percentage Spicy Teaching Tear II Alive Letter II Screw Adjust Pronunciation Limit Growth Boy Fixed Barrier Dancer Trade Interior Animal Give II Examine Friendship Chicken Meeting I Pants Fair Shave Ashamed General Well Object Leave Beef Port I Bike Sum Style Surface, which Beautiful Chew Damage Colour Roll Approval Champion Married Beauty Honour Urgent Ban Bear II Separately Flash Return Salty Growth Throw Gift Decorate Carry Lost Button Packaging Look for Touch II Life President Clean Instance Hurry League Kitchen Thinking Night I Ease Spin I Annoyed Boat Enthusiastic Economic Education Department Outside Movie Management II Train II Manufacturer Take Office Think Note Explain Cough Tire II Blood Eye Organize Error Contagious Sex Furniture Stupid Rain Groth Beautiful Think Choice Empire Tube Relaxed Charity Cover Mental Block Fight Black copy Buy Official Bear II Steel Look for Artist Leading Secondary Strong Formula Shelter Relationship Tackle I Success Help Hunting Product Illustrate Win Period Ancient Qualified Touch II Page Beak Valley Observation Scene Waiting I Tooth Inquiry Bird General Alert Ride Important Ease Wrapping Write Quickly Close Humor Investigation Scare Opinion Attractive Leader Young Football Poisonous Boring Thickness Park Shelf Slight Bad Opportunity Studio Underwear Oven Building Drawing Article I get tired Carrots and Bandage

Guest juitiousy

Don't Fully grasp Web Site Design? The Following Tips Might Help!

A sensible way to find out how to earn money, potentially without notice, is via web design. If you figure out how to make sites, you can either get them to for some individuals or even for oneself. The time you dedicate to working on these websites might be all by yourself time, which happens to be fantastic in order to be totally free while you generate income.

Don't overlook cascading design bedding. Employing a style sheet allows you to present all web pages of your respective internet site exactly the same appearance and feel. It also lessens the file size of your website, as being the CSS document can be utilized once on the host and then from the user's neighborhood cache after that.

Don't eliminate the visitor's appropriate-simply click functionality. Some websites do this to avoid people from copying and pasting textual content or preserving pictures through the web site. The thing is, it doesn't function and disables other helpful capabilities. OCR enables you to catch textual content from such sites, and taking hold of images is as easy as taking a screenshot.

Keep the internet pages into a affordable duration. Add articles by means of new pages on your own internet site, as an alternative to tacking it to the conclusion of a homepage. Typically, followers are hesitant to continue to keep taking a site that generally seems to browse on eternally. If you have to have plenty of articles in one web page, include hyperlinks at the top and also in sections through the entire web page. This allows customers to travel through the available articles without extreme scrolling.

If you need your web site website visitors to commit just as much time as possible in your site, make text message readable. Probably the most common style mistakes is applying visual backdrops with styles or darkish colors blend this with similarly dark text and you will have a dish for failure. Unless the words is obvious and readable, your website will never be a success.

Make the links evident. Customers usually do not like passing time wading by your web site trying to find something they are curious about. Having a website chart, as well as delivering major, well known backlinks will help your viewer determine what they are searching for with out wasting time inside a search. Lead them to your data.

Keep the sizes of the records and images small. Abnormal reloading instances are a dying knell for just about any site. The greater the data files are that has to weight, the more time a user's stress time is going to be. Most consumers will click away in case the webpage doesn't begin to load inside of the initial secs of starting your page.

Make sure your site content articles are each intriquing, notable and powerful. Whilst the look of the design and style is important, the material is really what maintains visitors returning to your blog. Once your content gives helpful and beneficial info that addresses the requirements your website guests, these visitors will probably revisit your site in the foreseeable future.

Use breadcrumbs and then make it to ensure that clicking on on the website logo returns anyone to the homepage. Breadcrumbs are markers that show in which the website visitor is with the website construction. As an example, the breadcrumbs may go through "residence > household furniture > mattresses." Once the customer clicks a hyperlink within the breadcrumbs, he could return to a site more up in the website hierarchy. Hitting a company emblem need to usually consider the visitor back to the website too.

To assist you to make great websites and fix mistakes by yourself, learn laptop or computer dialects. Educating yourself on how a website actually works can help you swiftly resolve any faults. Understanding how to deal with difficulties on the site can save you money and time, because you will not need to depend upon outdoors aid to treatment the situation.

Before starting advertising your site, test it on a number of web browsers. A given web browser will translate a website in a different way than another will, and in some cases the distinctions can be extreme. You should find out the most notable maybe five or ten internet browsers. Make sure you see your website from the most-used web browsers and as several portable web browsers as possible.

Don't truly feel motivated to complete each " of display with elements of design. Just because you possess all that room does not mean that you need to make use of it. All those checking out your blog will in reality be happy through extra space rather than sensing frustrating. In many ways, empty area offers importance to a site.

When you do development using your levels of website design where you can site that is certainly ready to go you desire to make certain that it isn't cluttered with ads. Men and women don't thoughts adverts nonetheless they dislike it when there are a lot which render it difficult to travel through your site, and you also don't want men and women mad.

Research is very important with regards to internet site design. Analysis your area of interest, in order to set up your scenery on your own target audience. You must consider methods you can design your internet site, to be able to increase your attempts in achieving your audience. This makes your efforts in internet site design very efficient.

Understand that when you start off that it's planning to take some time for your site to become preferred. You can try your greatest to build just as much traffic to your website as you can but ensure that you know what to expect so that you can consistently get used to your methods accordingly.

Internet site security is obviously something you need to consider. If you're coping with info on your website like charge card numbers or PayPal accounts, getting an SSL certification might be to your advantage. Also, check with your unique website host about any type of safety measures they're supplying within your deal.

With all which you figured out all through this short article, you must now have an improved understanding of what you must be doing when it comes to web page design. Be sure that you utilise all that you just discovered to the best of your capability and before you know it, you'll be described as a web page design professional.

kwatery w korbielowie

noclegi w korbielowie

noclegi korbielów

noclegi korbielów

kwatery w korbielowie

Archived