What to do when you are hit by a big gust that threatens to capsize you

DrSnapid

I had an early Capercat too, and I did not think it was pitchpole prone. Had so much buoyancy in the hulls. Maybe your mast is way forward.

+1 The mast must be way too far forward to be nose diving a caper from experience, i nose dived both hulls to the main beam once after getting new side stays made and not realising they were an inch longer than the originals, scary at first then fun until we got back to shore to change the settings. Ours was at the bottom of the stay adjuster for heavy winds and 1 or 2 from the top for light winds.

Yeah Dylan tells the story of how he swung round the shroud, right over his sister's head, landing out on the front beam, like it's some sort of ninja move he's proud of. But the truth comes out whenever we get near top speed and he's yelling "we're gonna pitchpole!" through the spray and I can just tell he's a bit worried now...

I am planning on raking the mast a little bit more actually but since I have the older style rudders it already has a hell of a lot of weather helm, so much so that as a tiller extension I use only rope. More rake will only increase weather helm I suspect. But I really want to practice using the traveller and downhaul and outhaul more, and just finding out what the limits of this boat are, since for my intended use it's really quite perfect and as much as I like the windy 14s and the nacras they just cannot carry the stuff we like to take with us when we are just cruising about.

If anyone has a set of flip down rudders I can adapt to the caper, i might be interested, last I checked calipso wanted nearly $1000 for a set

I wouldn't bother. You can manage pitching readily with rake, the weather helm just helps, performance will be pretty much the same, and you can sail in shallow water without the rudders kicking up. If you're keen though, contact Norm Jones from Maroochydore (he advertises on gumtree), or there's a set of Hobie rudders on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hobie-catamaran-sails-and-steering-/160995550412?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item257c1524cc

/Damien

No one has mentioned this and I am not sure how effective it is with the small jib that you guys run. On a 5.8 the best defense against the drastic pitchpole is for the crew to dump the jib. This will allow the nose to pop back up and the boat to accelerate. This tatic also worked on a cobra. Don't know how strong your little tyke is but if he can hang on to the jib sheet and let the jib fly when he is getting nervous and then pull back on as the boat settles it should help him over his nerves

Arghh thanks so much for the clarification about re bearing up or down,

certainly an interesting topic

and, very well explained

great readin'

Read years ago in a book "Catamarans for cruising", by Jim Andrews, to bear away in gusts..

don't believe everything you read..

Again, thank you.

errata

Now i'm cruisin'..

Thinking about it if you are upright the jib would produce lift. But when heeled over and nose starting to dig in I think I can see why releasing the jib might help because it would be being pushed down once you are heeled over. It's worth keeping in mind for a last minute save, thanks.

Some jibs may be cut to induce lift. Don't know about yours. Easiest way to find out is to go out in 15 knots, push the boat hard and try it. See how your boat reacts. I have only sailed a couple of caper cats and the sails where best described as rags. I think you will have a bit of trouble with nose diving just because you have three people on board. There is only so much room on the rudder case and I'm guessing that is where you were all trying to be. Boats are a lot less scary if you feel you have a bit of control. If your son thinks he can help tame the beast by adjusting the jib it will give him a lot more confidence. Mind you having sat around a lot of bonfires at sailing regattas everyone tries to brag about the best cartwheel. My record is 5 on the first reach of my first South east queensland cobra titles. Two of them with me and the crew landing past the hound on the mast. Luckily Lake cootharabra is so shallow

• 2 weeks later...

My first response to a gust is the trav, watch a cat of any type get hammered, dumping the main sheet tends to move the power UP the sail just where you don't want it. I've buried Mari and H14 leeward hulls under purposefully and tried both methods, dumping the trav works better and is quicker to get powered back up, it keeps the sail flat.Works the same on monos, I've played the trav in 35 plus to great effect. Totally agree about when flying a hull and you get a gust, feather the boat up and you can keep it balanced but it ain't fast. If you think about it cats don't have vangs, or at least not real effective ones, so the main sheet is there to keep the sail flat and the traveller to keep the angle of attack correct, Skiffs can vang sheet and can also foot off and raise the board a touch and remain flat and fast. If I did as the article suggested on the A I'd be swimming a lot (more than i do now).Downwind is different, If you dump the main on a Viper with the kite up you'll risk the mast, no backstay. As KOJ suggests soak in the gusts and head up for speed in the lulls.

A word of caution, when gybing pull the trav back to centre as the sail swings thru the breeze, then quickly back out as you come up.

Archived