Current sail numbers?

amsshaw

G'Day All,

Im looking at a PT in SA and the owner tells me the sail number is 3333.

After looking at pics of the 2012 Vic State's I could only see sail numbers upto about 3057 or something etc.

Im thinking the sail may have had extra numbers added as it a timber all hull boat.

Any idea's please?

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

The association has for some years being trying to regain control of issuing sail numbers. Apparently if you buy PT plans, you get issued a sail number, and the guy lets people choose any random number. Sorry I can't provide more detail; I vague out during the long annual discussions about this at our AGM.

It's possible the 3333 number is legit, and could be any vintage.

The newest sequential number I'm aware of is 3107.

A checklist if looking for a racing PT might include: tear-drop shape mast (not elliptical), newish sail (crinkly & stiff), cam-cleats & roller-bearing pulleys, carbon-fibre foils, and nice tight trampoline.

A keen eye might look along the deck, to see how much the nose & tail drop from a straight deck line. The trick is some people straighten out the keel and still measure up OK because the deck drops at each end. Some boats, such as International Champ winning Mogo, have quite a straight keel and very bent deck. On the other hand it seems to cartwheel fairly easily. Most say a "straight down the middle" hull is best, which might see the nose about 30mm lower than a straight dech, and tail about 10mm lower. Hope that made some sense to you!

Hi Tony and thankyou for the extra info, and yes I did find it interesting and helpfull thanks .

I was keen on a Taipan but budget is an issue, so I thought about another Mozzie but storage is also an issue at our place so a PT would fit the bill , just wish you could fit a trap to them for a bit more fun......Only issue is there are no other PT's in the area either.......

If it's the ex- Russell Green boat, then the sail number is legit. At one stage there was a bit of a trend of getting custom numbers for boats, this is now frowned upon by the association. I'm guessing that boat would be around 15yrs old.

Russell Green was a long time secretary of the SA association, and that boat was the last of many that he built. I sailed against it quite a few times and last i saw it, the boat was fitted out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived